Gauges Not Working

Paul K.

I am getting this Avanti II going after sitting for 20 years and after boiling out the gas tank and some new fluids it runs well. For some reason NONE of the gauges are working with the exception of the ones that are work separately i.e. the clock, vacuuum, and ammeter. I do not see a fuse for the gauges, so I thought I would ask here first. Also the tach does not work.

There is a fuse for the temp gauge, tach and gas gauge in the fuse panel. It's the short fuse and furthest to the right in the fuse box...next to the wiper circuit breaker. Replace that and see if everything starts working properly. If the tach still doesn't work and the others do, then you probably have a bad tach sender as well. There are vendors who advertise in Avanti Magazine who can rebuild them.

• 4 weeks later...

Check for a bad, broken or missing ground. Try a jumper wire from the battery negative to one gauge, the others are looped from there and this should get them all working. This should take care of the tach as well. My tach wouldn't work, but something happened to the gauge itself: the fuse blew (there's a hot wire, ground and sending wire from the distributer on the back of the tach) and even jumping a hot wire to the tach itself wouldn't get it going. I had to replace the gauge.