Adding Cruise Control

Jim78

My '78 was not equipped with cruise control. I would like to add it. Can anyone offer any information and/or pictures of what type of unit was used on Avantis of this era? Was it an "aftermarket" type, or was it a unit from another vehicle? How/where were the controls mounted? Might someone have an NOS or used unit available for sale?

I can't say for sure, but I would think if you determine what steering column you have (American Motors or Mopar), you can probably use what would have been installed on that make column. Avanti Motors may well have used an aftermarket system as well that could work on whatever steering column they used. Somehow my memory tells me they used kits from Dana Corporation, but are now sold by Rostra.

You might be better off buying and installing a new aftermarket setup...all the parts will be there and have a warranty and customer support. There are a number on the market...some have a turn signal stalk and control that looks factory (depending on what year car the steering column is from), and some have a switch that either mounts under the dash or snaps onto the turn signal stalk. Summit Racing sells kits, as does JC Whitney and others.

Edited by Gunslinger

Gunslinger is correct. My 83 came with a Dana unit. They were bought out by Rostra a while back. My Dana didn't work so I looked into two options.

Occasionally old Dana units come up for sale on Ebay at exorbitant prices and why you would want the old technology is beyond me.

The real option is to buy a Rostra unit and install it.

Luckily, the Dana Steering column control plugs into the Rostra controller and works like it should.

Here is what I chose. Universal cruise control part # 250-1223

I chose to pick up the speed signal with a adapter that connects in the tranny speedometer cable output. You can also use a magnet setup attached to the drive shaft but I'm not a real fan of those and they are difficult to attach to the Avanti drive shaft due to limited access. Part # 250-4153

Cost for my cruise control and adapter slightly under $200

You will also need to buy the column switch to control the unit. There are several available from replacing the turn signal switch on your column to adding a second switch to one of several locations around your column. About $50 I believe.

Check the Rostra website for options.

Here are a couple of shots of the installation.

Control unit

P1010312.jpg?t=1278179384

Carb hookup

P1010314.jpg?t=1278179469

Edited by BobS

Since authenticity is not a major concern for me, it sounds like a modern aftermarket type is the way to go. I have the Mopar steering column. I'll just have to find something compatible with the "old fashioned" cable drive speedometer. Thanks for your input.

It's interesting that in my newer cars (with overdrive) I tend to exceed the speed limit when not using cruise control. While with the Avanti (without overdrive) I tend to slow down. I guess that it's the brain being tuned to the sound and RPMs of the engine.

Jim

Part # 250-4153 is the adapter that you need to use with your tranny. It just screws into the speedo drive on the transmission and the speedo cable screws into the other end. Job Done.

Bob