Frame swap. old style to newer GM

Sal

I have heard enough about the improved handling and ride performance that is realized on the Avanti equipped with GM's Monte Carlo frame that it has me considering the swap. I have already acquired an original frame to replace the one I have that has rotted through and has only the slightest into of once having hog troughs. What modifications are necessary to a newer, (maybe 88?), Monte frame to make the changeover possible from a 72 to 88 or so. Are there mounting plates to be added, a good deal of welding etc? Has only undertaken this?

Thanks for the help.

Sal

• 2 months later...

I have an 87' Avanti with the Monte Carlo chassis, I have heard that Avanti redesigned the bottom of the body to mount on the Monte Carlo frame. I havn't compared the two but will look into it the next chance I get.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

I have heard enough about the improved handling and ride performance that is realized on the Avanti equipped with GM's Monte Carlo frame that it has me considering the swap. I have already acquired an original frame to replace the one I have that has rotted through and has only the slightest into of once having hog troughs. What modifications are necessary to a newer, (maybe 88?), Monte frame to make the changeover possible from a 72 to 88 or so. Are there mounting plates to be added, a good deal of welding etc? Has only undertaken this?

Thanks for the help.

Sal

Avanti Motors did have to make changes to fit the Avanti body to the Monte Carlo chassis...the wheelbase was different, but not by much, but still required some changes to the wheel well openings to center the tire/wheel combination in the openings. The attaching points were different, etc. Every time Chevrolet changed or eliminated a body style it required a redesign of the Avanti body to work with the new chassis. No longer having a dedicated, proprietary chassis rather than constantly spending expensive engineering time, already in short supply, in modifying the body to fit every time Chevrolet changed their chassis was a major part of the financial reasons Avanti failed at that time.

I believe dropping an original Avanti body on the Monte frame will create a lot of little and maybe a few not so little problems to resolve. Not that it can't be done...Avanti Motors did it...but they reengineered the body rather than simply modifying and adapting an older body to work. All it takes in money, time and a lot of effort on the part of someone who is willing to tackle it.

Edited by Gunslinger