Window Motor

g2watch

Hello,

Can anyone advise me on what window motor to buy for my 1981 Avanti 11, the passenger side motor does not drive the gear and it appears to have a worn bearing.

Thanks,

Ray

Hello,

Can anyone advise me on what window motor to buy for my 1981 Avanti 11, the passenger side motor does not drive the gear and it appears to have a worn bearing.

Thanks,

Ray

I'd be interested in a source for this one, myself. Your car may have used the same motor as the original Avanti.

That motor was a Bosch-sourced part used on Lincolns and a few other Ford models in the very early 60's (possibly T-bird

and Fairlane). I think they are pretty much "unobtanium" at this point (try calling Nostalgic Motors 1-800-avanti1);

I seem to recall that when they were becoming scarce about 15 or 20 years ago, they were going for upwards of $200

(but my memory ain't what it used to be).

You might be better off trying to find a source to rebuild your old one; new bearings shouldn't present a serious problem

for a rebuilder. Check the phone book for electric motor repair shops, and if they can't help you, they may be able to

recommend someone who can. Here's one possibility from Hemmings Motor News ads:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/servic...ird/831135.html

I think I remember seeing a quote of around $150 from a rebuilder years back, but the problem may have been more serious/

Hopefully others will have better suggestions.

If you get this resolved, please report back on your solution so the rest of us can learn from your experience.

Hang on!!! I may have been too quick to assume the PW motor in your '81 is the same as the original; in perusing the

Avanti Magazine, I see that one vendor (Myers Studebaker Parts 1-740-674-4897) offers motors for '63-'72 Avanti's

for $195 (repops, I think)... perhaps either he or Nostalgic can tell you what your '81 car requires.

Edited by WayneC

You can get your original window motors rebuilt. There's a rebuilder local to me that you can ship them to and they do excellent work. They rebuilt the window motors in my '70 several years ago for something like $40-$45 each, though I don't know what today's cost might be.

<http://www.knkauto.com>