NEED ADVICE: 87 RUST ISSUES

TMAN

Hi all! Need advice: I am looking for an Avanti. I recently inspected an 87. Although likely not driven in upper-midwest winters recently, it appears to have been at one point in it's life. Looking under the car there is a definite layer of rust on every metal part. Most important: There is insulation over (or under) the transmission tunnel. This is a metal-foil over yellow fiberglass insulation material. On this car it is badly deteriorated - and there is ellow insulation literally hanging down. Just from what I can see, there are two c-channel metal strips that run from side-to-side under the front of the floor. These are totally rusted - like a graham cracker. My guess is part of this is due to the connection with wet insulation. My question is: If I buy this car obviously the insulation has to come down and be replaced with like, Dynomat. But I am worried what else I may find. Is anyone familier with this occurrance - and what should I worry about? Can I replace these metal brackets (sorry do not know what else to call them.) I guess my overall general question is: How big of a factor is rust underneath these cars? Is there any one particular area of greatest concern - i.e. not repairable? (Ok, one last one: I am over 6-foot - and my head hits the roof. I am taking a gamble in buying one of these cars with the hope that I can modify the seat so I fit (something I have to do with every car I buy - old or new.) I know I can literally bolt the seat back several inches - but has anyone figured a way to lower the seat for increased headroom? Strange question I know.) Thank you in advance for your help with these questions!

Hi all! Need advice: I am looking for an Avanti. I recently inspected an 87. Although likely not driven in upper-midwest winters recently, it appears to have been at one point in it's life. Looking under the car there is a definite layer of rust on every metal part. Most important: There is insulation over (or under) the transmission tunnel. This is a metal-foil over yellow fiberglass insulation material. On this car it is badly deteriorated - and there is ellow insulation literally hanging down. Just from what I can see, there are two c-channel metal strips that run from side-to-side under the front of the floor. These are totally rusted - like a graham cracker. My guess is part of this is due to the connection with wet insulation. My question is: If I buy this car obviously the insulation has to come down and be replaced with like, Dynomat. But I am worried what else I may find. Is anyone familier with this occurrance - and what should I worry about? Can I replace these metal brackets (sorry do not know what else to call them.) I guess my overall general question is: How big of a factor is rust underneath these cars? Is there any one particular area of greatest concern - i.e. not repairable? (Ok, one last one: I am over 6-foot - and my head hits the roof. I am taking a gamble in buying one of these cars with the hope that I can modify the seat so I fit (something I have to do with every car I buy - old or new.) I know I can literally bolt the seat back several inches - but has anyone figured a way to lower the seat for increased headroom? Strange question I know.) Thank you in advance for your help with these questions!

I have a '87 and the chassis is from a '87 Monte Carlo SS, which makes it easy to find parts and modify if you like. The insulation can be replaced with Dynomat and the two channels are used to stiffen the front floor, I would just unbolt them and replace with some new channel. You may have to find some different seats that sit lower, I'm 5'10" and my head almost touches the headliner.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

I would be interested in how many miles are on the vehicle, also does it have a sunroof?

I have an '88 coupe purchased new and driven daily in Wisconsin with 118000 miles. Runs and looks great, but look underneath and RUST. It's ashame you buy a fibreglass car that still looks terrific yet underneath its just another car. My fiberglass/foil has been hanging down for as long as I can remember and my mechanic has yet to be concerned. The big problem as I see it is the body attachment to the frame. Although we don't have the 'hog-troughs' we DO have another/different set-up that is used to fasten the body to the chassis and it rusts like any other ferrous metal. I personally know of at least one body mount that has rusted out and dropped to my garage floor (drivers side just behind wheel). One of our members, Mr T from New Zealand, purchased an '88 convertible from the Chicago area in the past 1 1/2 yrs? When it arrived a majority of the body mounts were Missing! He is probably the FIRST ever to remove the body from the frame on this era car. I do not look forward, nor can I afford to perform this operation.

Seat height - I have changed my drivers seat to an aftermarket (by the way the bolts in the floor are positioned for the GM platform seat not Stude). I am under 6' and stll my head is up there. The new seat helps a bit if you recline the back. A big problem is the sunroof - seems to take away a lot of ceiling height.

Bill D