RQB Parts Questions

Jim78

I'm the new kid on the block. While I am a long time Studebaker/Avanti owner, I have recently bought my first Avanti II. It is a '78 equipped with a 350 engine.

One of my first projects is to check/replace the hoses and belts. Is there a reference available that would assist in identifying and/or locating these parts? Are there any resources that a new owner should know about?

As far as engine accessories, what make/model should I tell the kid at the auto parts store to punch into his computer to find the correct oil filter, plugs, etc.?

Your best source is right here. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here among Avanti lovers. Experience is defined as what you get when you don't get what you want, so most here are quite experienced.

To answer your other questions, I'll try...

The only interchange guide on-line I'm aware of is on the Avanti Source website. It's for the "RQA" series Avanti II, not the "RQB", and there are changes. You can certainly refer to it, but the interchanges may not be accurate to an "RQB".

When you want basic parts, just say it's a '78 Chevy 350 (I assume it's the original engine)...that should get you most of what you need, but not always. For some items, like a water pump, it's not quite so easy. There are long Chevy water pumps, short water pumps and Corvette water pumps. They fit the same but their length varies according to the application and pulleys won't line up properly if you have the wrong one. For something like a water pump you may have to take the old one in and match it up. It's likely the short or Corvette pump...I'm not sure of a '78 application.

Belts may or may not be the same as a standard small block from '78. That can depend on whether Avanti Motors was using the GM a/c compressor by that time or they installed the older York design from previous years. Again...matching belts up at a supplier could be necessary. There are application charts available, but that's assuming no previous owner changed anything, or that Avanti Motors didn't. They would make changes without any announcement or updating to application guides it seems.

For upper and lower radiator hoses, the same thing goes...you can order them from suppliers like Studebaker International and Nostalgic Motors, but that also assumes a previous owner hasn't changed anything, which is quite prevalent. They can matched at a supplier...often a proper shaped hose is found but you have to trim it to length...no big deal at all. Heater hoses are standard hoses you buy and cut to length.

Oil filters...standard small block Chevy for a '78. Spark plugs should be the same. You'll need to see what the horsepower rating is to make sure of that. I believe the engine used that year was a Camaro 350. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Starting around 1971, the rear brakes changed, so you have to keep that in mind when servicing them.

There is no shop or parts manual for a post-Studebaker Avanti I'm aware of. If you don't already have copies of the Studebaker parts and shop manuals, get them. While there are definitely some differences post-Studebaker, the manuals are still invaluable for doing anything on that car. You're probably already aware of vendors like Studebaker International, Nostalgic Motors and Jon Myer's Studebaker...they are probably the prime suppliers but there are others.

Any other questions you have, simply ask here. You're not asking anything that any number of us haven't already had to find an answer for. Avanti II's are not voodoo, they are great cars there is no reason why a parts counter guy has to look at you like a deer caught in the headlights when you tell him what you need parts for.

One nice thing about Avanti II's...they were all built to order and there is no true factory standard of what's original. You can make changes and customize them to suit your personal tastes and not hurt its value as long as it's well done.

Gunslinger,

Thanks for the reply. My '78 Avanti has 25K miles, and everything under the hood appears to be unmolested original. The engine has finned aluminum valve covers and the stainless steel static shielding over the distributor and plug wires. I don't know if this indicates the "Corvette" version of the 350 or not. I want to pick up a new fuel pump and water pump for it. Your info on the water pump was very helpful. The radiator hoses are definitely in need of replacement. It almost looks like the existing upper hoses were cut from a straight length of hose. I may have to wander through the FLAPS to find something molded that fits.

The finned aluminum valve covers seemed to be standard for Avanti Motors to install after about 1970...I'm guessing when they went to the 350 from the 327 for the "RQB" series. My '70 came with those valve covers which are generally thought of as LT-1 or L82 valve covers, but it's not quite accurate to call them that...Camaro's used them as well depending on the model. Prior to that they used chrome valve covers even though Corvettes didn't have them on that engine. By '78, the L82 Corvette came with black finned covers.

The shielding over the plug wires is for protection against radio frequency interference. Corvettes had it as well, but it's because of the fiberglass body and no other reason...to keep the radio from having such interference.

Does your car have the expansion tank eliminator kit? In place of the big tank it would have two pieces of upper hose connected by a metal tube with a radiator cap and neck, with an overflow tube to a plastic tank by one hood hinge. If so, I'm pretty sure Nostalgic Motors or Studebaker International should have those hoses, though I believe they might still need trimming. I would think any lower hose for any Avanti II through about 1985 should be the same. Look for a Gates 20046 lower hose...that should be correct.

Whatever you find that fits correctly...hoses, belts, water pump, etc., keep a note of it for the future should you need to replace them again at a later date. Even keeping a spare set of belts and hoses might be a good thing for emergencies.

Thanks for the additional info. I do not have the surge tank. SI lists two upper hose options ("short" and "long"). I guess that they consider the upper hose two hoses. One of my co-workers is a Chevy small block guru. If we get a break in our premature winter weather, I may drive the Avanti to work. Hopefully, he can interpret the numbers and tell me exactly what I've got.

Edited by Jim78