Tilt Steering Column

tcgoesch

Any ideas on getting a tilt steering column for a '64 Avanti. Is there a way to make on from some GM parts? If you have one and want to sell it please let me know.

Tom Goesch

I would first contact Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors.  He has NOS standard steering columns so he may have the tilt as well.  He bought all of Avanti Motors parts inventory when Avanti left South Bend.  

As usual, GS above is right about the place to look for OEM stuff. If you don't care about total originality, the usual suspects like Ididit, Flaming River and others make a variety of tilt columns that can be made to work. They even offer some of them with electric power steering if someone wants to upgrade. Not cheap but neither would an OEM one be inexpensive.

Because you have a rag joint, it should be pretty straight forward to adapt the newer units. The later Avanti's also offered tilt. My 74 has an AMC unit but they are not all that easy to locate either but you now have some options.

Probably the biggest change you'd need to make when installing a later GM, AMC, or Chrysler tilt steering column into a Studebaker Avanti or early 'A Series' Avanti ll (besides reworking the wiring) is enlarging the opening in the dashboard where the column passes through. (Just like Avanti Motors did!:o)

Edited by mfg