Manual Avanti!

mfg

Never very happy with the factory power windows in my 1963 Studebaker Avanti, I've wanted to convert the windows over to manual operation for some time.

Manual window regulators were always hard to find for Avantis, however, through an ad placed on this AVANTI FORUM by Bob Kline, i was able to acquire a good used pair last fall.

Starting last Monday, I began the conversion, finishing the job up today....and I'm very happy with the results!

I'll keep all the original power window parts (regulators, Bosch motors, relay, mucho wiring, window switches, etc. with the car, in case someone 'down the road' wants to convert the car back.

I agree that no power windows on an Avanti is an asset.  Bob, on the SDC Forum, is just completing changing an Avanti from no-power to power windows.  To each his own.  I think that I would just settle for whatever the Avanti was built with and not do a conversion.  I have owned both types.    

27 minutes ago, studegary said:

I agree that no power windows on an Avanti is an asset.  Bob, on the SDC Forum, is just completing changing an Avanti from no-power to power windows.  To each his own.  I think that I would just settle for whatever the Avanti was built with and not do a conversion.  I have owned both types.    

I 'settled' for power windows in my '63 Avanti for 29 years.....ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!:o

Drove the '63 to work today....REALLY liking manual door window operation....they actually roll up/down faster than the electrics ever did!

They??? A little hard to roll down the manual passenger side at speed, me thinks. Nothing wrong with converting to manual as it's a simpler system and less prone to failure but for me, I like to be able to control air flow and adjust the passenger window on the fly. That's why I went to the electric Nu-Relics option. ?

Bob

Nu-Relics retrofit power windows, or even the later Avanti ll power windows which utilize a GM type motor, are different animals than the early Studebaker Avanti power window setup....believe me!

Gary was correct (in my opinion) when he stated that manual windows are an asset in early Stude Avantis! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have one or two REALLY NICE used Studebaker Avanti window cranks (white knobs) they would part with?....The ones which I installed are OK, (slightly pitted), however, I'd like to do a little better! :)