Recommendation to lubricate trunk cable

Stuart Suede

Hi there - I have a question for my 63 Avanti.  The cable that releases the trunk deck has a lot of friction, and I'm concerned that one time in the near future the cable will break.  Can someone out there recommend ways to lubricate the cable?  I prefer not removing the cable housing.  Thanks a lot.

Check in Avanti Magazine or Turning Wheels...I believe there's a vendor who sells stainless steel replacement cables.  Take care of it now before yours does break...it's not if but when after so many years.  Some have said speedometer cable lube works well but replacing it is best.

As Gunslinger said above, one solution is to replace the cable but that requires removal as the replacements I know of are a complete assembly. It's still the best solution and not difficult once you remove the rear seat.

If the cable is like mine, just a steel coil outer housing with the cable inside, you could try using a penetrating oil on the coils while holding it with a rag to catch the runoff. The problem is that it's usually corrosion from moisture that is causing the issue and once rust has roughened the surface lube helps but doesn't cure. If they are also like mine the cable can't be pulled out of the cover anyway.

Realistically, it's not much more work to replace the cable than lube it as you need to access the entire length anyway.

Also be sure the release is not the problem before you do the rest of the fix.

Edited by Avanti83

If not mistaken, Dave Thibeault has them. BTW he is home post op after having hip surgery. He is going well and in great spirits.

Mark