Wheel Alignment in South Florida?

MikeValent

I own an 83 Avanti II - still the original Studebaker frame and suspension, I think. For you owners who live in Broward County, FL (or south Palm Beach County), who do you use for wheel alignment? The tech who handles my 95 Jeep is afraid to touch the Avanti. He did go far enough to be able to tell me that he didn't see any slop or worn-out parts in the steering gear.

The car has developed a fairly strong pull to the right. As I read some posts indicating that the nut in the control valve assembly adjusts power steering bias, I've tried adjusting that, but it's had no effect except maybe on steering sensitivity. Anyone have any advice there?

Had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. Took the old one to a chevy dealer's parts department, got looked at as though I might be trying to hand him a rock from Mars. No, Chevy didn't use anything like that in 82 or 83. Ended up using a sender from a marine engine, 5.0 or 5.7. I can see it's going to be fun dealing with "routine" parts and service needs

• 2 weeks later...
I own an 83 Avanti II - still the original Studebaker frame and suspension, I think. For you owners who live in Broward County, FL (or south Palm Beach County), who do you use for wheel alignment? The tech who handles my 95 Jeep is afraid to touch the Avanti. He did go far enough to be able to tell me that he didn't see any slop or worn-out parts in the steering gear.

The car has developed a fairly strong pull to the right. As I read some posts indicating that the nut in the control valve assembly adjusts power steering bias, I've tried adjusting that, but it's had no effect except maybe on steering sensitivity. Anyone have any advice there?

Had to replace the oil pressure sending unit. Took the old one to a chevy dealer's parts department, got looked at as though I might be trying to hand him a rock from Mars. No, Chevy didn't use anything like that in 82 or 83. Ended up using a sender from a marine engine, 5.0 or 5.7. I can see it's going to be fun dealing with "routine" parts and service needs

Not the problem i'd thought it would be. I got new tires at a Firestone/Bridgestone store in Pompano and they had no problem doing the alignment. Though their tire fit computer program had no listing for an Avanti, their alignment program printed out specs for aligning a 1965-1985 Avanti with radial tires. Whether caused by alignment or wear pattern on the tires, the right-pull is now gone too.

Have to keep working to get the instrument lights painted with a red that'll last more than a week. Then there's the seeming conflict between the ammeter and voltmeter. With headlights and/or the air conditioner on, the voltmeter shows 11 to 11 1/2 volts, but the ammeter always shows at least a few amps of charging.

Have to keep working to get the instrument lights painted with a red that'll last more than a week.

You don't have to paint your bulbs red. Several companies have red, as well as other color heat resistant covers that slip over the bulbs. My new Auto Meter gauges came with the red and green bulb covers and I've seen the covers themselves for sale in Pep Boys. I think the brand Pep Boys carries is Pilot Motorsports...do a web search and you should find them.

Another bonus to using them is they evenly distribute the red light...not brighter and dimmer as the red dye doesn't even cover the bulbs.

I certainly appreciate the tip. Found enough of the Pilot red sleeves at two different Pep Boys and they sure do work better than painting the bulbs. And you're right, the illumination looks a lot "cleaner" than it did with painted bulbs.

Does anyone know whether Avanti's stock tach has two bulbs, or just one? The speedo has a bulb down low, just right of center, I think, plus another bulb up high just left of center. I can't seem to find an upper bulb in the back of the tach - almost can't reach that area from under the dash or by putting my arm in through the dash hole above the radio. With only one (working) bulb, the tach looks considerably dimmer than does the speedo.