Clutchless Avanti!

mfg

Studebaker once advertised their (then) new Avanti is being offered with a "unique, floor mounted four speed transmission without a clutch pedal"..........True?

Edited by mfg

4 hours ago, mfg said:

Studebaker once advertised their (then) new Avanti is being offered with a "unique, floor mounted four speed transmission without a clutch pedal"..........True?

False

4 hours ago, studegary said:

I would be interested to see that ad, or a least a reference to it.  It does not make sense to me.

This statement comes from an April, 1962 press release kit......Obviously an error..... nevertheless, Studebaker's Public Relations Department released it this way!:o

3 hours ago, mfg said:

This statement comes from an April, 1962 press release kit......Obviously an error..... nevertheless, Studebaker's Public Relations Department released it this way!:o

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

20 hours ago, studegary said:

I would be interested to see that ad, or a least a reference to it.  It does not make sense to me.

I'm with Gary on this. Not that I don't believe the truth in the statement. This is such a fantastical (new word on my part) type error I just want to see it for myself. Where do you find this stuff?  Oh wait! When did Volkswagen come out with their floor mounted stick shift 4 speed without a clutch pedal? I remember driving one of those back in the early seventies. It was awkward.

29 minutes ago, StudeNorm said:

I'm with Gary on this. Not that I don't believe the truth in the statement. This is such a fantastical (new word on my part) type error I just want to see it for myself. Where do you find this stuff?  Oh wait! When did Volkswagen come out with their floor mounted stick shift 4 speed without a clutch pedal? I remember driving one of those back in the early seventies. It was awkward.

As I read and re-read it, I'm convinced that (at this early point) the advertising company did not fully understand what they were advertising!!

In my opinion, they were thinking of the (optionally) manually controlled AVANTI POWERSHIFT automatic transmission.....Calling it a "4 speed" was also, of course, an error!:wacko: