How Many Avantis?

Mistro

My wife asked me a question last night and I don't' know the answer.

How many Avantis were built in total?

And how many were of the Lowey Design, so Studebaker and Avanti II until the chassis redesign in 83?

TIA, Mike

Edited by Mistro
can't spell

7 hours ago, Mistro said:

My wife asked me a question last night and I don't' know the answer.

How many Avantis were built in total?

And how many were of the Lowey Design, so Studebaker and Avanti II until the chassis redesign in 83?

TIA, Mike

I believe that 8186 were built (plus three if you want to count AVXs).  

I do not understand your "83" cut off since nothing of importance changed then.  The chassis changed starting with the '87 models.  The basic body changed starting with the '90 models.

And, the name is Loewy.  

I believe the change in generation reflects the rubber bumpers that replaced chrome bumpers in 1984 even though the chassis was essentially the same.  It reflects the changes Steve Blake instituted.  It's more a visual change than anything substantive.  The real changes began with the '87 model year with the Chevy platform under Mike Kelly's ownership.

Studegary, Sorry I do know how to spell Loewy, sometimes I type too fast and spell checker doesn't catch those mistakes but his designs got me interested in the Avanti in the first place!

However, I did think that once the bumpers became wrap around in 83 that the Loewy design was superseded by a different chassis design so I learned something there!

Anyway is there somewhere where the total manufactured number of Avanti's by year are available?

TIA. Rgds, Mike

5 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

Pick up a copy of John Hull's book "Avanti - The Complete Story" and it gives probably the most accurate breakdown of numbers year to year.  Besides those numbers it's a great book on its own of Avanti history.

Avanti - The Complete Story

I agree that it is a great book and John is a nice guy.  I do vary a little bit from his production numbers.  Since the book came out ( a decade ago), John may have also revised his numbers a bit.  We are only talking about a one to three difference in any year.  The book's total of 8184 plus three AVXs is only two off my total of 8186 plus three AVXs, due to small pluses and minuses. 

Edited by studegary
missing apostrophe