Painted Avanti!

mfg

During the Newman-Altman tenure, when Avantis were originally finished with lacquer exterior paint, ......?....... coats of lacquer primer & paint, hand sanded between coats, were used in the Avanti exterior painting process.

1) eight......2) twelve........3) sixteen.......or.......4) twenty

15 minutes ago, mfg said:

During the Newman-Altman tenure, when Avantis were originally finished with lacquer exterior paint, ......?....... coats of lacquer primer & paint, hand sanded between coats, were used in the Avanti exterior painting process.

1) eight......2) twelve........3) sixteen.......or.......4) twenty

I was at the factory when painting was being done numerous times during this period, but I do not remember those details (may have never known).

I will say 1) eight.  This is based on my 1987 that had primer (perhaps two coats) plus three coats each of color lacquer and clear.  

23 minutes ago, studegary said:

I was at the factory when painting was being done numerous times during this period, but I do not remember those details (may have never known).

I will say 1) eight.  This is based on my 1987 that had primer (perhaps two coats) plus three coats each of color lacquer and clear.  

Sorry no, eight coats is incorrect.

Now that I think about it, I do not believe that there is a single number answer.  At that time, they sanded between coats to get "perfection".  To get the finish that they desired, it may have required additional color coats. 

2 minutes ago, studegary said:

Now that I think about it, I do not believe that there is a single number answer.  At that time, they sanded between coats to get "perfection".  To get the finish that they desired, it may have required additional color coats. 

I agree with you that the number of primer/paint coats may vary for whatever reason,

however there apparently was a specific amount of coats, hand sanded between, that was expected to be applied to 'Altman Avantis'

Any other thoughts here?