Back Ordered Avanti!

mfg

By the end of 1962, the Associated Press reported Studebaker Corporation had approx ----------- back orders for their new Avanti.

1) 900...........2) 1500............3) 2500......or......4) 4000.........?

Tough one. Initial projected Avanti production was supposed to be1000 units per month (stated in Bonsall's 'Avanti' book). In early September of '62, Clarence Francis said that Avanti production was about 3 months behind. So that is around 3000 units behind in September. So, by the end of 62, they would have been even further behind as orders continued to increase exponentially (don't we wish :() or backorders starting to go down as production was ramping up (including the body line in South Bend) and people started canceling orders because they were tired of waiting. Yeah, I know, production is not necessarily the same as orders, so this may be crazy logic, but I don't have anything else to use. :P

Guess I will say #3 -- 2500.

2 minutes ago, r1lark said:

Tough one. Initial projected Avanti production was supposed to be1000 units per month (stated in Bonsall's 'Avanti' book). In early September of '62, Clarence Francis said that Avanti production was about 3 months behind. So that is around 3000 units behind in September. So, by the end of 62, they would have been even further behind as orders continued to increase exponentially (don't we wish :() or backorders starting to go down as production was ramping up (including the body line in South Bend) and people started canceling orders because they were tired of waiting. Yeah, I know, production is not necessarily the same as orders, so this may be crazy logic, but I don't have anything else to use. :P

Guess I will say #3 -- 2500.

Wow!..........You hit the nail right on the head!....#3 it is.