'Spongy' Avanti!

mfg

During normal acceleration of a Studebaker Avanti, if the automatic shift from 2nd to 3rd gear seems delayed and a bit 'spongy', it could indicate that............?

1) throttle pressure rod is too short......... 2) throttle pressure rod is too long.......or........3) neither, throttle pressure rod only controls forced downshift (kickdown)

Ed, first.......congrats on your favorite team's win last night. :D

The reason I didn't answer this is that your description of the shift confused me. In my experience, if the trans pressures are too high the shift will be late and hard. If the pressure is too low, the shift will be early and feel like the tranny is 'slipping' or 'sliding' into the next gear (maybe what you mean by spongy?)

So, based on this, a delayed (ie, late, shifting at a high rpm) shift and a spongy shift don't seem to go together. So I decided to see what others would answer. :)

Thanks for the Patriots 'thumbs up' Paul!....And I apolagize...your 'right on the money'!........'DELAYED' was the wrong word....Let's say 'EARLY'!!

Now what do you think?

Well, to be honest I can never remember which way to do this, so I usually just try one way and see what happens figuring I have a 50-50 chance of being right! :)

So we will use the same logic........I have a 50-50 shot. I'll say #2. (and if that's wrong, it's #1 :P  )

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

Well, to be honest I can never remember which way to do this, so I usually just try one way and see what happens figuring I have a 50-50 chance of being right! :)

So we will use the same logic........I have a 50-50 shot. I'll say #2. (and if that's wrong, it's #1 :P  )

And #2 is CORRECT!!.....