1976 Avanti exhuast

rwolak

Does anyone know where I can get a picture of the 400ci equipped 1976 Avanti exhaust system? Seems like no one stocks parts for this car.

Also does anyone know if the exhaust from a 350ci equipped Avanti can be used on the '76?

Thanx

400-350-327-283 exhaust manifolds should be interchangeable during this era and should be able to be bolted to any cylinder head. There can be a difference in outlet OD however. Most are 2" but some are 2 1/2" OD. If your 76 has the standard Ram 2" manifolds the 350 system should bolt up. Check the exhaust manifold outlet OD to see what you need.

Have you talked to Don Simmons at Silvertone Exhaust systems, his ad doesn't show 75 to 83 but he should be able to build something. his # 519 485 1966. Another person with exhaust for the Avanti is Dan Booth,when Avanti motors left SouthBend, he bought all spares, and has advertised having parts. His # 800 AVANTIX. Lou Cote

Have you talked to Don Simmons at Silvertone Exhaust systems, his ad doesn't show 75 to 83 but he should be able to build something. his # 519 485 1966. Another person with exhaust for the Avanti is Dan Booth,when Avanti motors left SouthBend, he bought all spares, and has advertised having parts. His # 800 AVANTIX. Lou Cote

My 83 has a Silvertone 2 1/4" stainless system modified to mate with the 2 1/2" Ram Horn "vette" exhaust manifolds. The cross over is gone and it has the true dual exhaust system. He may not list the 75 and on but it's possibly due to the use of a cross over headpipe which I'm not sure he makes.

The advice above is valid as it is best to talk to Don at Silvertone. He's also a great guy to talk to same as Dan from Nostalgic.

I believe that the 76 models were the first with a catalitic converter. Depending on regulations in your area you may be able to delete said item, they can be prone to age related internal collapse and failure, clogging up your exhaust. I have purchased a cat back system , in stainless for my 1985 from Don Simmons. For my parts stash Dan Booth had a head and intermediate pipe. Working on a friends 64 Don Simmons made up an intermediate pipe to replace one that someone made up that almost touched the transmission pan -no more heat in that area needed. Lou Cote

I think in '76 Avanti Motors was still using the frame with cutouts for a double exhaust even when one wasn't being used. If nothing else, a good exhaust shop can fabricate a complete exhaust system...with a catalytic converter if your state requires it or make up a true dual exhaust like earlier cars. On my '70 the speed shop made up a complete dual exhaust with 2 1/2" pipes rather than an original design 2" pipes for better flow.

You can get the shop to make a system out of either aluminized metal or stainless steel. Each has advantages.

I think in '76 Avanti Motors was still using the frame with cutouts for a double exhaust even when one wasn't being used. If nothing else, a good exhaust shop can fabricate a complete exhaust system...with a catalytic converter if your state requires it or make up a true dual exhaust like earlier cars. On my '70 the speed shop made up a complete dual exhaust with 2 1/2" pipes rather than an original design 2" pipes for better flow.

You can get the shop to make a system out of either aluminized metal or stainless steel. Each has advantages.

Measured the exhaust the other day and it currently has a 2" system with glass packs. Talked to Nastalgic and they seem to have both a stainless and aluminized steel system that will bolt right up to my heads that'll give me "true duels" front to back, eliminating the cross-overs and cat. It's a '74 Avanti design.

Measured the exhaust the other day and it currently has a 2" system with glass packs. Talked to Nastalgic and they seem to have both a stainless and aluminized steel system that will bolt right up to my heads that'll give me "true duels" front to back, eliminating the cross-overs and cat. It's a '74 Avanti design.

Should work fine. Post a couple of shots when you are done.

Custom 2 1/2" system on my 74 built locally http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?74295-74-Avanti-SBC-T-56-2-1-2-quot-Exhaust-System-and-Undercarriage

Silvertone 2 1/4" stainless system on my 83. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?42662-Avanti-Stainless-(Silvertone)-Exhaust-Installation-Length-and-picture-warning

Bob