Engine Block Color

bobconant

Dear Experts,

I have a 1982 Avanti II which originally came with a GM 305 engine. In the intervening years, the engine has been changed to a crate 350 engine. The crate engine block appears to be black. What color were the original GM engines in the Avanti II cars ? What color were the valve covers?

Thanks,

Bob

Bradenton, FL

I think they were both black by that time, but others may know for sure. The earlier Chevy motors were orange, but I'm not positive when that changed.

Chebby engines were painted orange until about mid-1977 when there was a change to "Corporate Blue". That occurred because of GM putting engines from other car divisions in another division's vehicles, depending on need and availability without public notice. All GM engines were then painted the same color and customers were told GM vehicles could be fitted with an engine from any GM division.

As far as I know, black painted GM engines are crate engines.

As far as valve covers, it depends on which year Avanti you're talking about. Early Avanti II engines had chrome valve covers, then Corvette L82 aluminum valve covers, and then engine color valve covers. Once they started supplying center bolt valve covers I'm not sure what finish they had...maybe whatever they came with from GM?