Why You Should Buy a 1963-64 Studebaker Avanti Right Now

rgallatin

I wonder if that revelation will actually impact the hobby for us current owners? Our Avantis are still a love it or hate it polorizing car for many I think. Sure, we get plenty of ohs and ahs from folks at car shows, but are they and the investment oriented types going to run out and buy one now after all these years? I have my doubts, but we will see what happens.

Thanks Paul. The Avanti is actually one of 10 cars (No 6) featured in “Now and Future Classics.”

Kinda, sorta. The article specifies the Studebaker Avanti R2, not the other Stude ones and various reincarnations. Even my lowly '64 R1 need not apply. When folks start talking Mustangs, who's thoughts fly to a Mustang II, or even the '79 or '94 remakes? Though a '95 'stang will blow away a '64 in virtually any metric, there will never be a line forming to bid on a pristine unrestored 1995 barn find the way there would be a 1964. Likewise the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th version Buick Rivieras. Forgive me if needed, but all Avantis were not created equal, any more than various Impalas. On top of that, I personally feel the endless attempts to revive the marque probably hurt the mystique of the name compared to where it would be if Newman & Altman had simply bought everything up to retail as spare parts to keep the 4600-something Stude-built Avantis on the road. Are the later Avantis better all around drivers, easier to get parts for and more comfy as daily drivers? Heck yeah, but I'm afraid the sought-after collectible classic ones will always be the Stude-R2/R3 ones. Seems every time I mention Avanti to a newbie, it always gets met with, "Those were supercharged, right?".

Edited by GlennW

Glenn, many valid points, however, " a rising tide floats all boats". There won't be a huge rush from the masses to snap up Avantis, but if the values increase due to good press and increased demand, the supercharged models will be too expensive for some admirers. These buyers move down the line to the next affordable package. Prices will rise and stay relative to one another.

in the 80s and 90s, I restored and sold many cars including Cadillacs and Lincolns of the 60s. Back then, convertibles in those makes were the most popular and valuable. Their counterpart four door sedans were sold for a pittance or parted out compared to the convertibles. Today, sedans bring respectable money and the people that own them love them. However, when speaking to them they reveal that they really wanted to buy a convertible but could not afford it. Turns out they like the car for what it is more than a convertible. BTW, I owned three Avanti IIs over the years and all went to buyers who wanted nothing to do with a Studebaker but knew all about both manufacturers. They loved the looks of the Avanti and the Chevy motor even more.

Today, I have a 63 R1 Automatic, no A/C and one of the 5% that was NOT equipped with power steering. Talk about being low in the pecking order. :D But I really like my car. Its Avanti Gray with red interior, my favorite color combo. Plus I like my Avanti more for its looks rather than speed or as an investment.

I agree, Paul, and it would be nice for those wishing to sell if all values rose, I suppose. Though a rising tides raises all boats the same amounts, a buddy of mine used to say, "a strong breeze lifts all kites" but the best kites with the most string will fly higher ☺ I don't know that the $78k R2 mentioned above will/would add even $1k to my R1's value, but it can't hurt. I do know mine is in better shape now than when I bought it around 30 years ago, and probably isn't worth as much now. If I subtract what I've put into it, and then add in licensing, insurance and storage fees, I probably owe the universe $20 ;)