Looking for a heater core/valve/box

ron@crall.com

Just about to fire up the engine in 63R-1025 for the first time since about 1998. During the belt/hose replacement I discovered that the heater core/valve/box had been replaced by a couple of 90° elbows.

Anyone got parts or even something that could be used as a core? I see that the valve and core can be rebuilt of you have a core.

Yes, that core probably developed a pinhole leak and clouded the inside of the windshield, so it was bypassed.

I'm afraid any used Avanti core, considering the age, will most likely have the same problem.

SI has them brand new....but they're pricey!

I remember once fitting a Dodge Aries /Plymouth Reliant heater core into a friend's '64 Avanti, and it fit and worked pretty well.

Those cores should still be available, and inexpensive either new or aftermarket.

Just about to fire up the engine in 63R-1025 for the first time since about 1998. During the belt/hose replacement I discovered that the heater core/valve/box had been replaced by a couple of 90° elbows.

Anyone got parts or even something that could be used as a core? I see that the valve and core can be rebuilt of you have a core.

Ron, are you looking for the heater core, as well as the valve body that controls the heater temp?I have a used valve body, part number 1557364, that I'll part with.

John

502 773 059 TWO

Yes, that core probably developed a pinhole leak and clouded the inside of the windshield, so it was bypassed.

I'm afraid any used Avanti core, considering the age, will most likely have the same problem.

SI has them brand new....but they're pricey!

I remember once fitting a Dodge Aries /Plymouth Reliant heater core into a friend's '64 Avanti, and it fit and worked pretty well.

Those cores should still be available, and inexpensive either new or aftermarket.

I have a local radiator shop that did a great job on a mangled Avanti radiator. A bad unit is better than none, and the shop's price will probably be better than what they are asking for new units.

About fifteen years ago I called Newman Altman to see if they had any NOS Studebaker Avanti radiators left.....They had one, and shipped it to me still in the original Stude packaging....I think it cost me about $325 with shipping..... I purchased it just to have a spare, and I still have it collecting dust in my garage!

I see what recores cost now, ($500-$700), and I'm glad I made that purchase!!

Archived