Avanti Coils!

mfg

How many coil springs are used in/on a Studebaker Avanti R2 engine assembly?........1) 22......2) 31.......3) 39........4) 57......or 4) 68

We're not counting 'thermostatic' type springs here!

Clarifying questions -

1. are you considering a cutch disc and pressure plate as part of the "engine assembly"?
  2. are you considering the expansion tank as part of the "engine assembly"?
  3. are you considering a power steering pump as part of the "engine assembly"?

For items 2. and 3., they are both shown on the engine assembly picture on page 3 in the 'Engine' section of the Avanti Workshop Manual, so that is why I'm asking that.

Gotta make sure we all know the extent of the engine assembly.......... ;)

Edited by r1lark

Good questions, and I completely agree with you!........DO NOT consider the clutch assembly...OR the expansion tank.....OR the power steering pump....OR the starting motor.

But DO consider everything else!...Good luck!

Edited by mfg

Well, if we aren't including the starter I've only come up with 63. And this number assumes we are not including the lower radiator hose (coil spring inside hose). So I'm going to say the correct answer is 68 figuring I missed five others.

Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, at the end we all want to see your list mfg so we can critique it! :)

Edited by r1lark

So far I come up with 42

16- valve springs

2 carb linkage

1 accelerator pump

2 dist. advance

1 belt tension arm

14 inside supercharger

2 fuel pump

1 idle adjusting screw

1 choke shaft (for 3725S carb)

1 supercharger oil pump

Below is my list that I based the guess of 68 on. Obviously I missed five. I had 68 until mfg said not to include the starter motor, so that knocked me down to 63. :( My memory of the PVC is that there is not a spring in it, but I'm too lazy to go pull one out and look at it. :)

Per the instructions, thermostatic type springs are not included, although I might argue that the spring in the cooling system thermostat is not the 'thermostatic' part - the wax pellet is. Also, I have left off the lower radiator hose spring since the hose didn't seem to fit the criteria of 'engine assembly'.

mfg, we are waiting to see your list................... ;)

Rocker Shaft Springs 6

Valve Springs 16

Oil Pressure Relief 1

Distributor Cap (center carbon) 1

Fuel Pump 2

Blower Belt Arm 1

Throttle Return 2

Blower 15

Distributor Centrifugal Advance 2

Distributor Vacuum Advance 1

Alternator Brush 2

Throttle Kicker 1

PVC Valve ?????

Carburetor --

Vacuum Piston Spring 2

Idle Cam Adj Screw 3

Accelerator Pump 2

Idle Adjust Screw 1

Secondary Throttle Return 1

Step Up Rod 2

Throttle Flex 1

Fast Idle Cam 1

Choke Shaft (3725 only) ? (decided not to include but probably should have)

Total 63

Edited by r1lark

Boy,...you guys are GOOD....I hope I'm not driving everyone crazy with this rather 'obscure' question,....But I'm 'reaching' a bit here!!!

Anyway, here's my list of FIFTY-SEVEN 'coil' springs.... I can see right away that I missed a few..(center carbon spring in cap...and the spring in the throttle kicker...oil filter bypass...idle cam spring......and also the extra 3725S carb choke linkage spring)

Carb assy...10, Throtle linkage 2, Valve springs 16, Oil relief 1, Fuel pump 1, Alternator 2, Dist advance 1, Dist weights 2, Supercharger race load 14, Super. tension arm 1, Super oil pump 1, Rocker shafts 6!

So the real answer here may actually be 61 (or 62 if the 3725S carb is included) (No 'thermostatic' springs considered....and right or wrong I included the thermostat spring as part of that group!

I think we have to give this to Paul!!!!

My brain hurts!

Edited by mfg