Avanti Keys.

aardvark

I don't have the answer so it's up to Y'all to supply it as Trivia.

Does a '63'-64' Avanti come with a separate door key and ignition key, or are they the same?

Both '63 and '64 Avantis came with two keys, one for the doors & ignition switch, the other for the glove compartment and console.

By this point in time many Studebaker Avantis have had either their ignition switch (including the cylinder) or door locks changed, so will have different keys for the doors than for the ignition.  But, when new they used the same key for the doors & ignition.

BTW, with rare exception, 1963 Avantis used a different key blank than '64 Avantis.  Studebaker switched at the start of the '64 model year.  The two key blanks look entirely different.

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

Thanks Dwight.

I broke off the only key that came with the car when I bought it... Today the key snapped of in the ignition..I got the tail of it out and am going to ket a few made by a locksmith.

What I was unsure about is wether it was worth it or just a need to have the whole (sticky) tumbler replaced.

I know what to do.

Years ago one could walk into a locksmith and get a Studebaker key made just from the key code (from the production order).  They looked up the code in a book and cut the key.  That's not true around here anymore, but perhaps there is someone in the U.S. who still does that.

--Dwight

4 hours ago, aardvark said:

Thanks Dwight.

I broke off the only key that came with the car when I bought it... Today the key snapped of in the ignition..I got the tail of it out and am going to ket a few made by a locksmith.

What I was unsure about is wether it was worth it or just a need to have the whole (sticky) tumbler replaced.

I know what to do.

You’re having some tough luck with the car aard,….but hang in there, once you get your Avanti straightened out you will love it!!

Yeah, MFG. I'm anticipating Her to be enjoyable.,  Her time will come... soon.

The car is all original with 80k miles but  it was sitting for a handful of years. I've had it for 14 months and haven't even put 10 miles on Her., The issues I'm up against are mostly simple, but i can't dedicate loads of time to Her due to other things going on around here. That's why the 14 months.

I wanted to test the brakes after all the work I put into it and the steering fluid leaked down.. Filled it up (still got a leak)  and the key broke... Sheesh... What Next?image.thumb.jpeg.df7b41d9d152edc5233e2537bf1054ba.jpeg

DSC_0002 (2).jpg

Dwight. I'm going to see a very reputable locksmith this coming morning. 

I have the 2 key parts. and the Build Sheet, but we'll see what He can do.

Thanks, MFG.

Went to 2 locksmiths today.. mass amounts of keys all over the walls, No matches.

The 2nd tried to cut what might work. It failed.

H.I.H..

4 hours ago, aardvark said:

Thanks, MFG.

Went to 2 locksmiths today.. mass amounts of keys all over the walls, No matches.

The 2nd tried to cut what might work. It failed.

H.I.H..

If you’re dealing with a broken original type key, Studebaker International would definitely have the blanks for both ‘63 & ‘64 styles.

Any locksmith can cut them.

MFG

Well the Locksmith ordered 2 blanks. $40.00 each. (sheesh). The tumbler has been too sticky to pull a key in and out. I never pulled the key out and it worked fine. ...So what I'm trying to do is get the Car running, and use the key He makes for the doors. I'll then order up a new Tumbler and 2 keys for the Ignition. Robert Ziff sells the tumbler w/ keys.

Side note, He couldn't figure out exactly what the key was, I had the Build Sheet and it answered the question... #4337 is the listed ''Ignition Key Number''.

Still all of this is delaying progress and it likely will be 1 to 2 weeks before I'm back to square one.

5 hours ago, aardvark said:

MFG

Well the Locksmith ordered 2 blanks. $40.00 each. (sheesh). The tumbler has been too sticky to pull a key in and out. I never pulled the key out and it worked fine. ...So what I'm trying to do is get the Car running, and use the key He makes for the doors. I'll then order up a new Tumbler and 2 keys for the Ignition. Robert Ziff sells the tumbler w/ keys.

Side note, He couldn't figure out exactly what the key was, I had the Build Sheet and it answered the question... #4337 is the listed ''Ignition Key Number''.

Still all of this is delaying progress and it likely will be 1 to 2 weeks before I'm back to square one.

Stude Int. is asking $8.00 a pair for the ‘63 keys… I guess prices are all over the place.