New Carpet Pad Suggestions.

psdenno

Planning to start putting the interior back together with new upholstery and carpet when the weather cools a bit.  We’re coming off 22 straight days of 110º or higher.

Looking for recommendations on carpet underlay that works well for heat and noise reduction as well as ease of installation.

Replacement carpet kits come with the pad preinstalled on the carpet.  Other than that, you'd need to get the cut and fit stick on insulation sheets for sound proofing.

3 hours ago, ronmanfredi said:

Replacement carpet kits come with the pad preinstalled on the carpet.  Other than that, you'd need to get the cut and fit stick on insulation sheets for sound proofing.

Thanks for the reply, ronmanfredi.  I have the new carpet and it has no pad preinstalled, just original style salt & pepper pattern carpet to go with the new orange upholstery.

I'm aware of the DynaMat type insulation and also considering felt padding like original.  I'm interested in hearing experience of other owners with either type they have actually used.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget dynamat and go for felt. Dynamat is good in making metal sheet sound "dead", it takes out all the vibrations of the thin sheet. Our cars are made from fiberglas, not steel. Therefor, no damping is needed. 

Heat is firstly reduced by closing all the holes in the firewall as the engine is very hot. Then, cover the inside with felt. It is easy, cheep and give a luxury feel to the carpet.