Foreign Avanti!

mfg

Two mechanical parts found on a Studebaker Avanti which were made outside the United States were ……?……

What years?... they made em till '07'.

Studebaker Avantis are only 63 and 64 year models.

One of the items are the door catches made by Mercedes.

I discounted the disk brake pistons as they were made by Bendix under license from Dunlop. 

Maybe count the ball bearings in the super charger. I believe they were made in Germany. 

7 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Studebaker Avantis are only 63 and 64 year models.

One of the items are the door catches made by Mercedes.

I discounted the disk brake pistons as they were made by Bendix under license from Dunlop. 

Maybe count the ball bearings in the super charger. I believe they were made in Germany. 

Yes, exactly on the door latch assemblies.. and I feel the same concerning the Dunlop disc brakes!

As far as the  closer tolerance German ball bearings… Paxton Products offered these as a more expensive option… but the jury is out as to whether or not they were OEM in period Paxton SN blowers.

The reason I ask is my Nameplate on my '02' has both Studie and Avanti on Her.  Yes ... It's Bass Ackwards.

If a newer model there are likely numerous parts from around the world.

DSC_0002 (6).jpg

Edited by aardvark

It is interesting and kind of ‘cool’ Avanti Motors tried to bring back the Studebaker name… SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!!!!

I appreciate it as well., and it is not found on nameplates of a few other years in that time era.  The '01' as I understand doesn't have that on the plate.

Seems they acquired the Studie Name after in production.

I wish someone could address the differences but guess it's of little importance.

I clearly remember how an Avanti friend of mine, Ron Morrison, had a lot of grief trying to register and insure his ‘02 Avanti ( brand new at the time) over the confusion of the car having a GM serial number!!

Yeah, It's Pontiac, and at the time far more expensive than the Firebird Trans Am.... Maybe $30k more.

I wouldn't think the Registration was an issue, but Insuring to value? Yeah, that's even a headache now.\

On 6/12/2024 at 3:21 PM, aardvark said:

Yeah, It's Pontiac, and at the time far more expensive than the Firebird Trans Am.... Maybe $30k more.

I wouldn't think the Registration was an issue, but Insuring to value? Yeah, that's even a headache now.\

Sometimes it all depends who you deal with at the registry!

I think some of the interior light bulbs and fuses were made by Mazda from Japan.

MFG.

For my '63' they had to create a whole new vin number.. since it didn't meet NC Standards.

But that wasn't really an issue.

On the '02' it's registered and taxed as a Firebird. It worked to my advantage from a $$ stance.

1 hour ago, aardvark said:

MFG.

For my '63' they had to create a whole new vin number.. since it didn't meet NC Standards.

But that wasn't really an issue.

On the '02' it's registered and taxed as a Firebird. It worked to my advantage from a $$ stance.

Good deal!… The problem with the (then new) ‘02 here in Mass was that they would not accept a vehicle titled as an Avanti could somehow have a General Motors serial number… it took Morrison several weeks to get everyone on the same page.