Clutch problem

Leo B

I am asking for your help. I have a 1963 4 Speed. The clutch disengages as it should, but when you start moving, the gear will not engage unless you press the clutch to the very limit. Clutch shakes also a little. I conclude that the clutch comes off at an angle, allowing the gearbox to spin a little along with it. I have restored the pedals, New Clutch Plate, new Pressure Plate and Clutch Cover. The Releash Shaft has been restored and all the bushings and likewise the Suport Brancet. Whole Clutch Pedal Travel is OK. New Pressure Bearing. Fly wheel looks fine (have not measured). The only thing left is Housing, which might have wrong alignment? Could this be the reason? Something else?

Edited by Leo B

19 hours ago, Leo B said:

I am asking for your help. I have a 1963 4 Speed. The clutch disengages as it should, but when you start moving, the gear will not engage unless you press the clutch to the very limit. Clutch shakes also a little. I conclude that the clutch comes off at an angle, allowing the gearbox to spin a little along with it. I have restored the pedals, New Clutch Plate, new Pressure Plate and Clutch Cover. The Releash Shaft has been restored and all the bushings and likewise the Suport Brancet. Whole Clutch Pedal Travel is OK. New Pressure Bearing. Fly wheel looks fine (have not measured). The only thing left is Housing, which might have wrong alignment? Could this be the reason? Something else?

I will remove the transmission and check the alignment of the Bell Housing. It is now installed according to the alignment of the dovel pins and all the surfaces are clean, but it may be wrong if Bell Housing has been replaced or installed without checking alignment. I'll tell you how wrong it is (if it is).

On 5/27/2024 at 8:05 AM, Leo B said:

I will remove the transmission and check the alignment of the Bell Housing. It is now installed according to the alignment of the dovel pins and all the surfaces are clean, but it may be wrong if Bell Housing has been replaced or installed without checking alignment. I'll tell you how wrong it is (if it is).

Could possibly be a tight pilot bearing causing input shaft to drag…. I owned an ‘89 Jeep Wrangler that had that problem…with same symptoms.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mfg said:

Could possibly be a tight pilot bearing causing input shaft to drag…. I owned an ‘89 Jeep Wrangler that had that problem…with same symptoms.

Very good point. Tightness can occur when the pilot bearing is tapped into place. When replace the pilot bearing, for checking, I could make a test shaft that would be exactly the same size as the shaft of the gear box. Not a difficult thing.👍

Edited by Leo B

10 minutes ago, Leo B said:

Very good point. Tightness can occur when the pilot bearing is tapped into place. When replace the pilot bearing, for checking, I could make a test shaft that would be exactly the same size as the shaft of the gear box. Not a difficult thing.👍

Good thought…. and sometimes dried up or gummy old grease at pilot bearing can cause an annoying drag on input even with pedal at full travel.

11 hours ago, mfg said:

Good thought…. and sometimes dried up or gummy old grease at pilot bearing can cause an annoying drag on input even with pedal at full travel.

I would think that when the car is stationary, the engine is running, the gear is on and the clutch is in the bottom, then the tight pivot bearing would wear looser.🤔

I found the problem: Clutch Fingers where in different height. They weren't on the same level.

8 hours ago, Leo B said:

I would think that when the car is stationary, the engine is running, the gear is on and the clutch is in the bottom, then the tight pivot bearing would wear looser.🤔

Me too….. however on the Jeep I mentioned I ended up pulling the engine… at least Studes use a bushing, while some vehicles use a sealed ball bearing pilot that sometimes goes south!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mfg said:

Me too….. however on the Jeep I mentioned I ended up pulling the engine… at least Studes use a bushing, while some vehicles use a sealed ball bearing pilot that sometimes goes south!

👍🤣
I drow today test run and all seems to be fine.
Edit: My Stude is AOAI May Calendar Girl😎

Edited by Leo B