avanti script, nose and tail

arkus

my '83 has a different type or font script then i have seen . i have access to '63, '64, '66 and '76 cars and all have what we are all used to, with the "tail" of the V extended and the stylish dot over the I. my '83 is very plain, no extension or dot. the back cover of aoai #170 has a picture of what appears to be an '84 with steve blake touting goodyear tires. the script is as we are used to. a search of past issues was not successful in turning up any script pictures like mine, regardless of year. i'm just curious as to the difference, perhaps when they were used and why.

The script was changed during Steve Blake's time. He dropped the "II" from the name and it simply became the Avanti. I don't know at what serial number the change came about. I have advertising brochures from the Cafaro era in Youngstown that show Avantis with the early script. The 2001-2007 generation also has the second "Avanti" script in all upper case letters, but they're made of plastic, not metal.

As to why...it could simply have been Steve Blake's desire to do so or possibly the original design was in short supply and he took the opportunity to have the design altered.

i kind of had an idea that blake changed the script, what threw me off was that my '83 has the plain style while the later plastic bumper car i mentioned has the early script. perhaps those times were like the henry ford days of using what you came up with at the moment you needed it with no consistency.

That wouldn't be the first time Avantis came off the line with parts seemingly out of order from the norm. I believe each assembly person had his own ways of doing things...I've seen electric trunk release switches mounted under the dash on either side of the steering wheel before it was standardized inside the glove box. I'm aware of Avanti Motors installing tapered axle shafts in the '70s when the norm was flanged axles, etc.

It seems the parts department didn't always follow the first in-first out rotation system of parts inventory. It seems whatever was available was pulled and used, regardless of whether it was actually current stuff.