roll bar cover/headliner removal

Ron Dame

It's time to address the moon roof issue in my 1980. The glass is cracked and it has also been sealed closed, but of course it still leaks. (I do have a replacement glass if I do repair rather than remove the moon roof) The glass has NOT dropped down, so I'm hopeful that everything is still bonded in place and that rust isn't beyond repair. The sunshield is firmly stuck half open/closed, further hampering access.

Though I thought I saw directions for removing the roll bar cover, headliner, and moon roof glass at one time, a search on this site, Nostalgic Motors site and Bob Johnstone's site has not turned up the now elusive instructions for removing these items.

help please!

Ditto to Ron's post- all of that.... Surely somebody out there can elucidate on this subject, hmmm ? 🥺

I was able to remove the glass without the headliner and roll bar cover being removed. It is rather simple. There are four Allen screws where the wind deflector attached to the glass. These come out. After cutting all of the silicone and butyl crap someone before me used, and with coaxing of the motor and some additional hand pressure, the glass slides up and forward. Then you have access behind the glass to two hinges, partly obscured by rubber. There are two more Allen head screws on each hinge that come out, and you lift it out, easy peasy!

I just spoke with Dan at Nostalgic, and the original weather seals are NLA. He sells a different one that requires some modifications to both the car and seals, but it doesn't sound bad.

This addresses my main problem, but doesn't answer have the headliner and roll bar covers come off. It seems to be totally installation different than the earlier Avantis, and I forgot to ask Dan.

Today's progress:

#*&(@!$##!!   &^*()%)$#!  &&*(@#!!!  Grrrrr... MF%$&*$&&*!

I hope tomorrow is better!

12 hours ago, Ron Dame said:

Today's progress:

#*&(@!$##!!   &^*()%)$#!  &&*(@#!!!  Grrrrr... MF%$&*$&&*!

I hope tomorrow is better!

Well said!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's done. Sort of. It does not leak, but it was quite a chore given other problems with the sunroof, primarily a motor that chooses to quit mid way, and the inability to push the rear of the roof up completely, despite cleaning and lubing the hinges at the rear.

In the end, I decided I didn't like using the sunroof anyway, so got the glass situated and unplugged the motor.

This is the end of my write-up of how to replace the weather seal!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 9:48 AM, Ron Dame said:

I was able to remove the glass without the headliner and roll bar cover being removed. It is rather simple. There are four Allen screws where the wind deflector attached to the glass. These come out. After cutting all of the silicone and butyl crap someone before me used, and with coaxing of the motor and some additional hand pressure, the glass slides up and forward. Then you have access behind the glass to two hinges, partly obscured by rubber. There are two more Allen head screws on each hinge that come out, and you lift it out, easy peasy!

I just spoke with Dan at Nostalgic, and the original weather seals are NLA. He sells a different one that requires some modifications to both the car and seals, but it doesn't sound bad.

This addresses my main problem, but doesn't answer have the headliner and roll bar covers come off. It seems to be totally installation different than the earlier Avantis, and I forgot to ask Dan.

Ron - Can you share a picture of the allen screws that you are speaking about?  I need to pull out my glass and frame to try and reattach a fallen corner.  Much Thanks!!

6 hours ago, SCPO-PD said:

Ron - Can you share a picture of the allen screws that you are speaking about?  I need to pull out my glass and frame to try and reattach a fallen corner.  Much Thanks!!

Which Allen heads? the ones at the wind deflector are on the piece of stainless trim just at the front of the glass. They are easy to see and access.

The other ones, on the hinge-like linkages at the rear would require me to plug the motor back in, nurse the glass back, try and get a nearly impossible angle photograph, and then nurse the glass back into place.Given the whole fiasco of my car's mechanism, I'm not willing to do that.

Also know that this applies only to the Skytop moon roof, not the earlier ASC sunroofs. The name for the Skytop is on the handle for the sun screen.

But best of luck to you!