Perminant Sealing Moon/Sun Roof ???

SCPO-PD

I am sincerely thinking about pulling my fallen and leaking Moon/Sun roof and simply making it a permanent sealed window.  I have seen / read of some fellow Avanti owners doing the same but I am now unable to remember where....

Seeking assistance form anyone with knowledge.

Also seeking information / directions on how to remove the current sun/moon roof.  

Thanks & Blessings,

Don 

Mine is not dropped (yet) but in lousy internal condition. I too would welcome any hints at how this operation should proceed- particularly any advice in removing headliner material etc without spoiling it.

On 4/21/2024 at 5:55 PM, SCPO-PD said:

I am sincerely thinking about pulling my fallen and leaking Moon/Sun roof and simply making it a permanent sealed window.  I have seen / read of some fellow Avanti owners doing the same but I am now unable to remember where....

Seeking assistance form anyone with knowledge.

Also seeking information / directions on how to remove the current sun/moon roof.  

Thanks & Blessings,

Don 

I suffered with that same malady in my ‘83 everyday driver Avanti….

Fed up with it and having the ability to do basic bodywork, I purchased a sheet of 1/8” virgin fiberglass and filled the opening in.

I left the sliding moonroof intact… leaving it in it’s dropped position, but not rolled back.

This  gave good support to the new fiberglass roof panel, which I carefully cut & trimmed to fit into the factory roof opening.

I then ground the fiberglass  down about 4” around the perimeter of the factory opening, tapering it.

I did the same around the edge of the new fiberglass panel, and put weights on it to  hold it in position. (it’s slightly curved)

I then used fiberglass resin and cloth joining the new panel with the factory roof opening….. I then ground that down after it cured… then finished with a skim of body filler, primer and paint.

I made this modification on my Avanti about 15 years ago…l have no regrets…. and a dry head!!…….Ed

PS…. On the inside I made up a new headliner out of a composite sheet ….from the roll bar cover to the windshield header… and painted it a close match to the interior color (tan)

I've got a similar issue to deal with this Spring: Mine has already been sealed shut, but the glass is cracked. I have the new glass and depending on condition of the mechanism, may resurrect the functionality of the sunroof... or not. I'm not sure if the mechanism works anymore. If it doesn't, that complicates removing the old glass. So I, too, am interested in how to proceed.