Concours d'elegance Detroit

Sorry to see any Venue go down...

That said, growing up in Mo-Town, there ain't no way in this day / age, I would EVER spend time in Detroit or my other home town Chi-Town. Unless Your very "street savvy" Ya don't belong there... Hey, as a Young Man I spent time going to the COBO Shows and enjoyed them.. Times have changed, and even as a raised Citified Kid, I won't go back. Crime and violence has taken over.

I currently Build Tiny Homes...We live 120 miles out of Atlanta. One of the big Tiny Home Venues is on the east side of ATL... A Hi Crime area.                I won't attend.

Aardvark, we must know each other (big grin) I grew up just outside Detroit, had a job working downtown the day after the riots ended, and your correct, no way do we want to return. Attended many car shows at the COBO hall when I had my business but sold and left the state in 2002. At one time it was a nice place.

Stacy.

I grew up in 'Taylor' Tucky, (as it was referred to). Graduated in '73' went into the Military and then came home, graduated from Henry Ford Comm College. Left for Chi-town in '82'...Moved down here to the Smoky Mtn's, in N.C. in '12'. 

Even as a Kid, it was known not to go to Mo-Town alone, and never at night. The Riots were in '67'.  It went downhill after that.     I'm not a racial person by any stretch but if You are the 10%tile White Boy, ya watch Your back.  Even Taylor and Dearborn went downhill and Hi Crime...                  But it WAS the ''Motor City'' and named that appropriately.

That said, the Only way I'm going to Detroit these days is headed to the Tunnel or  Bridge..in route to Windsor.,

It was fun as a Kid in the 60's and 70'd seeing the Cars being introduced.. Lotta muscle and much more when the owners started modifying. 

Taylor-Tucky, yep lived there too for about a year when I worked at the Metro Airport as the Damage Manager for Avis rent a car.  Was responsible to estimate any damage the renters caused to the car, vend the car to a body shop, inspect the car once returned and then if approved get back out on the rental line. If it was totaled, get to the auction and deal with the bids so we could get it off the books. And yes, I was VERY busy as the renters didn't seem to drive very well back then. Probably many still don't.

Stacy.

I also worked at Metro (DET) and Ypsilanti (YIP). for Air Freight Co's...Years later in Chi-town I worked at O'Hare (ORD). .                                                Did ya ''Road Race'' on Telegraph Road? We did in a 600hp 71 Stang...Every Saturday night we all met up and staged races on the 3 lane, south bound... The Detroit Cops were concentrating on the East Side, but occasionally showed up.. We would all scatter and come back in 15 minutes when they left.  Hundreds of cars showed up... Lotta money was bet.             We never did Gratiot Ave.

I'd say... Small world, but then again, You are 2/3rds away across the Country.   Not so small !

Cruising days was on Gratiot, then if we pooled enough money for gas took the long drive to Woodward, but not took often. Grew up in Roseville so stayed close to home.  When I eventually moved to Birmingham then cruised Woodward.  Got my share of tickets and when the car insurance rates balloned to almost $300 a year i slowed down...Just got the yearly insurance bill for the 3 cars, motorhome and home, almost 6 grand, things have sure changed.

12 points was a loss of drivers license. Commonly I always was at 8 to 10 points and then cooled it for a year, let the points drop off some and continued my fast driving habits.

My collector cars (2 of em) are on Grundy. They are under full coverage for a value of $35k.. Costs about $300 per yr for each,

Before my time... mid to late 60's, they raced on an abandoned airstrip at Detroit Metro. That ended when a guy flipped his car and died. ....Then the Cars moved up to Telegraph Road around 6 - 7 mile. we met at a K-Mart with a Taco Stand off to the right side. I went into the Military and came back. It all changed and was more of a car/truck/van show.. no more racing. It kinda saddened me, but times were changing.

Stacy, thanks for the Memories.

Edited by aardvark