How Much Paint Do I Need?

I've got a 64 Avanti that I want to take back to the original Avanti Turquoise. The car has been repainted twice; the first appears to be a dealer repaint to Maroon where the interior was also changed from Turquoise to Black, the second was a repaint of the Maroon. I am stripping it all back to bare glass and starting over. I bought a can of the touch up paint from Studebaker International and sprayed and clearcoated a sample panel, which has been sent out to Chad's Paint Supply for matching.

I'm going with BC/CC and need a decent estimate as to how much ready to spray BC I will need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Probably a gallon of base coat but it’s always best to get extra for potential repairs in the future you know the color will match. I will tell you, you should talk with someone that has done the turquoise before just to make sure your formula is correct; I wouldn’t go by a spray can bought from a vendor! Brad Bez has painted some turquoise Avantis and he must have a viable formula for correct match. Also, when they do mix the color MAKE SURE they use the smallest aluminum chop for the metallic. Most shops are use to todays paints which have larger metal flakes. The color formula could be right and if the flake is wrong it will not look right!

• 3 weeks later...

The amount of paint (base coat) for 3 gallons of ready to spray (RTS) will depend on the brand/paint system you are buying. Your jobber or painter will know. Don't skimp on the clear coat quality. Its what has the UV protection and provides the gloss. Plus be sure you apply enough while also not applying too much. Talk to your painter about an extra coat to allow for future polishing and paint corrections. 

Can't stress enough the earlier comment to confirm and use the correct size of the metal flake the original formula used. If having a shop paint it, get 2 spray outs of the paint to be sprayed. Keep one of the spray outs for yourself to check the final product. (I have a long story about keeping one spray out yourself) 😗   

Edited by Paul K.

2 hours ago, Paul K. said:

The amount of paint (base coat) for 3 gallons of ready to spray (RTS) will depend on the brand/paint system you are buying. Your jobber or painter will know. Don't skimp on the clear coat quality. Its what has the UV protection and provides the gloss. Plus be sure you apply enough while also not applying too much. Talk to your painter about an extra coat to allow for future polishing and paint corrections. 

Can't stress enough the earlier comment to confirm and use the correct size of the metal flake the original formula used. If having a shop paint it, get 2 spray outs of the paint to be sprayed. Keep one of the spray outs for yourself to check the final product. (I have a long story about keeping one spray out yourself) 😗   

Thanks for the advice. I'll be painting it myself; I have already painted a 1951 Ford F1 pickup.

I got paint samples in Motobase that I haven't had the chance to try yet. Hopefully one of them is a good match for color and flake.

I'll be using SPI clear. 3 coats, cut flat with 600/800, 3 more coats, cut and buff.

I'll post my sample sprayouts when I get to them.

Thanks again.