1963 Radio Removal?

Dunkin

7 minutes ago, Dunkin said:

Any tips on removing these and the knobs? Thank you.

Best tip I can offer is ...find a mechanically inclined twenty year old who's body is still flexible enough to stand on his/her head!!!!

50 minutes ago, Dunkin said:

Any tips on removing these and the knobs? Thank you.

Front knobs/tone controls etc just pull off, then remove the two nuts and washers. Under the dash electrical connections and antenna wire obviously need to be disconnected.

As I remember there is one more chassis nut to remove, located on the bottom corner, passenger side toward the firewall, I used a quarter inch socket, don't remember the exact size, perhaps 7/16 or 3/8 in.

The hardest part is getting access under the dash, after removing the fiberglass panel on the passenger side at the transmission hump, you need to squeeze yourself in on the floor to reach up under the dash at the back of the radio.  If the passenger side bucket seat is removed it will make this whole lot easier,,,

Concerning radio removal, I've noticed it's a much easier job on '80's Avanti ll's, as on those models the radio speakers were relocated to the kick pad area, and the Stude type radio speaker grill is replaced with a removable sun glass holder allowing access to the radio through the top of dashboard.