What type of ATF?

Bozman

I’m working on a recently acquired 1971 Avanti.  I have a small transmission leak that I’ll probably have to address in the future, but for now, what type of ATF should I be adding?  The manual indicates type A suffix A. Some web info indicates I can use Dextron 2 or 3.  I also saw that older Borg-Werner transmissions used type F.  
I’m sure this has been answered hundreds of times, but I couldn’t find a thread.

thanks, 

Bill

First…is your transmission a Borg-Warner or GM Hydramatic?  It could be either from that time period.  If GM Dexron is called for..or whatever equates to that today.  If a Borg-Warner…Type A Suffix A is no longer available and hasn’t been in a long time.  Most will recommend Type F in its place or equivalent.  

Hi Gunslinger, and thanks for the reply 

the transmission is marked

Warner Gear W.G. AS2-12D    #1022

manufactured for Avanti Motor Corp.  their #1700390

I’ll probably use the type “F” fluid

I have most if not all of the paperwork that came with the car, there’s nothing about the transmission.

thanks

Bill

Different type fluids will make for different transmission performance in a Borg-Warner transmission.  While not an absolute statement…Type F will make for firmer shifts where Dexron will provide smoother shifts.  Mercon blends can be different as well.

Thanks everyone,

I topped the level off with a pint or so of type F but I will get a picture of the pan gasket and see about dropping the pan and doing a  fluid/filter change.  The transmission shifts very well, and I have that nagging voice whispering in my ear “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

My next project is to replace the A/C system.
thanks

Bill