Under Dash Dome Light

Avanti 79

My under dash dome light isn’t working. I’ve replaced the bulb, because the old one was blown. There is a switch next to the light, but whatever position I put it in, no light. Is there a separate fuse for this light? I see one empty fuse location, it appears to be an ACC, but I’m not sure what it’s for. Any help is appreciated. 

Edited by Avanti 79

The Dome Lights, Trunk Light and Cig Lighter all work off of the same fuse.  According to the wiring diagram on Bob Johnstones website, there is also a switch there to turn on the light when the doors are closed.  Black wire is hot to the light, the switch and door switches control the ground.  You might need to drop the light and see if the wire is loose or broken off of the light.  A test light or voltmeter would confirm that you are getting current.  If so, then there is a ground circuit problem.  The Spare-ACC fuse spot is for adding an additional item to the fuse box and usually has a spare fuse in it.

Thanks so much. The other dome lights worked just fine. I’ll do what you suggest. Additionally, I don’t think the cigarette lighter works either. However, the trunk light works as well. I’ll try and use a volt meter to see what’s going on. From what I understand the the switch is either on, off or on and off while opening or closing the door.  I think there is a light in the glove box that is not working either. I don’t know if this is part of the same problem or not.  I’ll let you know tomorrow what I find out. I certainly appreciate your help. 

Edited by Avanti 79

I have learned that 90% of lighting problems are caused by a broken ground, given the need for grounding with the fiberglass body. As to the cigarette lighter, there is a fuse at the bottom of the lighter that may need replacement.

Thanks for the information. I put in a new fuse in the cigarette lighter/alarm slot and pushed in the cigarette lighter and the fuse blew. I’m going to disconnect the lighter and put in a new fuse and see what happens. As far as the light, I’m going remove it and check the wiring, in particular I’ll check the ground wire.  If you know, did any of Avantis come with a factory alarm? Thanks again for your help.  

Edited by Avanti 79

Just a follow up to the cigarette lighter and dome light issue. I was able to get the cigarette lighter and cigarette lighter light resolved. The cigarette lighter light is now working. I was only able to find a clear bulb not a red one. The under dash dome light is a different story. It appears there was some kind of switch close to the dome light and the the switch that controls the rear dome lights. There is a loose wire around the hole where there appears to have been a switch. As I recall, I think the wire is green. Additionally, at least on my car the same fuse does not work the dome lights and cigarette lighter. As I was looking at Avanti pictures, I noticed an interior picture showing an additional switch where I believe my car had one.  At this point,  I can’t get power to the under dash dome light. It doesn’t appear to me to be a loose ground wire. Any thoughts would be appreciated. As always, thanks in advance for any help  

Joe

On 7/28/2023 at 10:32 PM, JimM said:

I have learned that 90% of lighting problems are caused by a broken ground, given the need for grounding with the fiberglass body. As to the cigarette lighter, there is a fuse at the bottom of the lighter that may need replacement.

Agreed!

You should reduce the image sizes to around 1000 x 1000 or so which make them smaller on this forum.

My 82 has a switch on each side of the light.  The passengers side switch controls the light.  The drivers side switch is a spring loaded toggle switch which I think it for the rear window deicer.  You appear to have had an additional switch on the drivers side and I don't know what it does.