Link from Gearshift to Arm on Transmission

Fourward

The shop manual says there is a washer spring, washer #10, then a cotter pin 1/16 x 1/2 where  the arm from the gearshift attaches to the transmission. My gearshift arm has no provision for a cotter pin. There is an integral threaded shaft on the end, it looks like it is 1/8 inches in diameter. In fact, the shop manual shows a nut, speed nut? where the arm attaches. My assumption is spring washer, washer, then a speed nut or course threaded nut? Does anyone know the exact nut and dimensions, like course or fine thread? And if those two washers go on there.

12 hours ago, Fourward said:

The shop manual says there is a washer spring, washer #10, then a cotter pin 1/16 x 1/2 where  the arm from the gearshift attaches to the transmission. My gearshift arm has no provision for a cotter pin. There is an integral threaded shaft on the end, it looks like it is 1/8 inches in diameter. In fact, the shop manual shows a nut, speed nut? where the arm attaches. My assumption is spring washer, washer, then a speed nut or course threaded nut? Does anyone know the exact nut and dimensions, like course or fine thread? And if those two washers go on there.

Hi Fourward- I recently removed the 'Hand Shifter' rod from my '81 Avanti II and have it near to hand so I had a look at it alongside the Studebaker Parts Manual. Despite having a GM TH400 Transmission, the Rod appears to be the exact same unit. The photo I took shows the assembled parts as per removal and these coincide with the Parts Manual.  There ought to be a 3/16" 'Clevis Pin' there, which secures with a 1/16" split pin, plus a plain washer, thin washer and 'wave' (spring) washer set. I suspect you have a substituted part down there after a PO lost the original pin and replaced it (with a bolt, perhaps). IMG_0403.thumb.JPG.8e99435bfa6328ee794999346ddb5bf8.JPG

Zedman, Yeah, that is exactly what I am talking about. I guess a lot can happen in 60 years, someone must have changed that part. I can get the spring washer and washer, I'll have to look for a nut that fits those threads. Thank you.

Hey Fourward-  Can you remove whatever it is you've got there and replace it with a 3/16" clevis pin an splitpin as per the parts book?

I wish I could! It seems like it is an integral part of the rod. ?? I found 2 nuts in small pile of junk in a drawer that fit! It is a 1/8 inch thread, so they are very small. I plan on putting a spring washer, a washer, then the two nuts, which will lock each other on. I guess that will work.