Removing the Windshield Wiper Motor Assembly

Mark L

My windshield wiper motor assembly is not working.  I'd like to remove it to see if it's something simple I can correct, or if it's more serious and I should just exchange it as a core for a rebuilt unit.

On my 1962 Lark, I can access the nut that connects the motor shaft to the wiper drive linkage by removing the cowl grill in front of the windshield and reaching down inside the cowl.  I removed the cowl grill on 63R-1204 and found there is no such access.

The Avanti shop manual just simply states to remove the nut.  It does not provide any instructions regarding how to actually access the nut.

How do I access the nut?  Is it from the interior of the car?  Will it be "visible" behind the radio, air conditioning evaporator, and defroster ducts?  Will I need to remove an access panel to see it?

Thank you for your assistance.

Mark

I recently did this on an air conditioned car. Remove the covers on the sides of the A/C and the nuts are exposed with some contortion. I also removed the heater valve from its mounting bracket to gain more space. It is accessible through the radio if you have small hands or the speaker opening but these are difficult to remove too. 

• 1 month later...