Bellcrank Pinch Bolt Specification

1inxs

Do I need to order the bellcrank pinch bolt for an 81 Avanti from a Studebaker vendor or does somebody have the specification for a pinch bolt that I can pick up at a hardware store?

Thanks 

Robert

I checked the head markings and it's a class 8 UNF. The parts book states it is 7/16"-20tpi x 2 3/4" long.  Don't settle for a class 5.

It should be available in any big fastener supplier.  Order a high tensile nut and a star washer to go with it .

If you're a stickler for originality, as I am, SI will supply you a new one with the nice 'TR'  marking on the head. 😉

Grease it for torquing.

I appreciate the quick info. I wasn’t able to locate the pinch bolt from SI, so started to look elsewhere.

Thanks

Robert

Zedman, Sorry, yeah, after your post, I decided to put more effort into researching my parts manual for the answer. For Avanti with power steering I see a listing for the listing for 7/16” -20 x 2-1/4” and a washer 7/16” - 20, but I don’t see a nut for a power steering car. I also didn’t think there was a nut involved in this assembly. Have I made a wrong assumption?

Thanks

Robert

13 hours ago, 1inxs said:

Zedman, Sorry, yeah, after your post, I decided to put more effort into researching my parts manual for the answer. For Avanti with power steering I see a listing for the listing for 7/16” -20 x 2-1/4” and a washer 7/16” - 20, but I don’t see a nut for a power steering car. I also didn’t think there was a nut involved in this assembly. Have I made a wrong assumption?

Thanks

Robert

Geeze, Robert- my bad...  No nut required, at all. The length is also 2  1/4", which is just long enough.   I was thinking of my 1961 Hawk non PS RHD Bellcrank- uses a nut.  Just ensure that you have enough threads on the length to not get thread-bound when tightening, otherwise employ a flat washer or two.

Thank you for the help Zedman! I’m hoping this helps cure my scary steering