289 Assy, did a bad thing.

billsr2

Searching the web for photos today.  I took several photos of the water manifold hardware but I have nothing (as does the shop manual) of which head bolts go where.

Ditto for which side the temp sender goes, various plugs & fittings... Maybe ya'll can provide some links or photos? I did not expect this engine to be apart for 13 months...

3 hours ago, billsr2 said:

Searching the web for photos today.  I took several photos of the water manifold hardware but I have nothing (as does the shop manual) of which head bolts go where.

Ditto for which side the temp sender goes, various plugs & fittings... Maybe y'all can provide some links or photos? I did not expect this engine to be apart for 13 months...

The temperature sender goes on the left (driver's) side of the engine.  It is attached to a plate that covers the water outlet on the back of the head.

If you are reinstalling your cylinder heads you should be able to determine where each capscrew (bolt) goes just by trial and error.  There are several lengths of these capscrews and dropping them into the head bolt holes will show which goes where.  When dropped into the head bolt holes (but not tightened) all should have about equal distance to travel when tightened.

There has been some detailed discussion on the SDC Forum by expert engine builders (not me) on torquing the heads down, coating the head gasket, etc.

Depending on what pix you need I may be able to help with that.  Do you have an R1 or R2?

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons