Avanti II steering not returning to center

Jred

Small update. Checked the steering box fluid and it was empty. Filled with “00” grease. 
Seems to be turning a bit better but the wandering and lack of return to center isn’t any better. 
apologies for the ignorance but does anyone have recommendations on a starting to checking components before I start replacing and rebuilding the front suspension/steering? Currently running fresh tires and shocks. 

With the car jacked up using Jack stands under the a-arms the only play I saw was an up & down from the bellcrank.  Could this be one of my issues? The A-am bushings look pretty cracked as well. 

11 hours ago, Jred said:

With the car jacked up using Jack stands under the a-arms the only play I saw was an up & down from the bellcrank.  Could this be one of my issues? The A-am bushings look pretty cracked as well. 

Yes!... the play in the bellcrank is normally the major cause for what you're describing...There should be 'zero' up and down play in steering bellcrank....Also, check tightness of pinch bolt holding bellcrank to center pin.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the steering squared away. @silverstude offered some great info via dm. It was suggested that the bellcrank was the issue, as @mfg mentioned as well. 
after some investigating it looked like that maybe someone had installed the wrong size lock washer on the pinch bolt. The washer was splayed open. I’m guessing over time the bellcrank shaft had worn enough to allow excessive movement in the geometry. That and neglect to lube any of the fittings along the geometry in the steering.

thanks for the help and suggestions  

Replaced the hardware, bell crank and tie-rods… car feels amazing now. 
A-arm bushings are up next but that’ll be another weekend. 

Edited by Jred