Build to strengths?

Geoff

We're all pretty aware the Studebaker V8 doesn't have 'acreage' to stretch out its bore. Stroke is a little flexible here but a large increase would go against what I'm about to suggest. What if somebody built a Studebaker V8 with a flat plane crank? Other changes would have to be made as this alters the firing order, so the camshaft and a few other details would change. I was talking to my dad about this not long ago, and the funny/ironic thing about that was, a few days later my uncle suggested the same thing on a phone call with my dad; there seemed to be a common message carried on the ether's wavelength.

A flat plane crank is more rev happy, perhaps a lightened aluminum flywheel would complete the "let's spin it to the moon" ensemble? Since big cubes are out of the question, why not regularly spin what can be made to [8000, 8500, 9000, …] as a means to make power? And probably some glorious tunes.

The V8 Novi Indianapolis engine utilized a flat plane crankshaft, and produced considerable power (and noise!) from 185, then later 169, cubic inches.

I think the Granatellis had it up to 720 horsepower by 1964.

Edited by mfg
added text

If you up the RPMs, then lower RPM power suffers. Unless you can put variable cam timing like new cars, it will be undrivable around town.  All out race cars don't need to idle and take off from stoplights in heavy traffic. 

The Stude engines were designed with high compression in mind. Up the compression, or use higher blower boost. un aviation fuel, and have fun and driveability.

I hear the argument about shifting the power band, and having a car that's no fun around town. That is exactly why Honda stroked the 2L to 2.2L in their S2000 from one generation to the next. You literally had to beat the snot out of the 2L car just to get it to move. Small displacement cars need what I'm about to jump into, gearing.

With the Studebaker V8, one could play musical chairs between transmission, wheel size, and differential gears to find the Goldilocks zone resulting in a fun driver. Tremec's T-56 has a couple different gear sets. Some have a 0.50 6th gear, which would reduce 4.56 differential gears to 2.28 for relaxed cruising, while pulling through the lower gears quickly. Richmond has a 6 speed box where 1st is 3.27 and 5th is the direct drive gear. There must exist a combination of parts allowing a wild engine to be docile in urban traffic.

I kinda like the higher pressure idea also; lower the static compression ratio and increase the boost pressure.