Help! Power Steering Left and Right Turn Hoses

Fourward

Ahh, I think I am messing up my steering in the 63 Avanti. Went to replace the left and right turn hoses. In the first place, one seems too short, its a tight stretch. More than that, the end at the power cylinder is facing the wrong way. I attached it to the control valve, it faces the outside of the car, not the inside toward the power cylinder like it should. Even worse, I cant get the ends screwed into the power cylinder, so I decided to take the power cylinder out, and, hold it in my hand, then screw the hoses in. I cant get the cylinder out!!!! Per shop manual, I took the cotter pin out, took the crenelated nut off, it wont come loose from the bellcrank!!!! What is wrong here??? On the other end, I took the nut and washer off, it moved down the smallest bit, after I hit it a couple times with a hammer! Please, can anyone help with advice on how to get the power cylinder out? Am i missing something?

2 hours ago, Fourward said:

Ahh, I think I am messing up my steering in the 63 Avanti. Went to replace the left and right turn hoses. In the first place, one seems too short, its a tight stretch. More than that, the end at the power cylinder is facing the wrong way. I attached it to the control valve, it faces the outside of the car, not the inside toward the power cylinder like it should. Even worse, I cant get the ends screwed into the power cylinder, so I decided to take the power cylinder out, and, hold it in my hand, then screw the hoses in. I cant get the cylinder out!!!! Per shop manual, I took the cotter pin out, took the crenelated nut off, it wont come loose from the bellcrank!!!! What is wrong here??? On the other end, I took the nut and washer off, it moved down the smallest bit, after I hit it a couple times with a hammer! Please, can anyone help with advice on how to get the power cylinder out? Am i missing something?

I usually use a 'pickle fork' wedge tool at the bellcrank end.

Change of plans. I will use a pickle fork and pry the power cylinder off, if I have to. I am not going to attempt it now for two reasons. One, it might be difficult to force it back on?? Two, I think I can get the hoses rebuilt by a shop that rebuilds hydraulic hoses. I will check tomorrow. The old fittings are bent such that they go on much easier than the new ones, I cant get the upper one started on the power cylinder.

I might be mixed up on which hose goes where after all this. I think the upper hole on the power cylinder goes to the upper hole on the control valve, and, this is the shorter hose. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks again.

I had mine out 5 times. every time it took me a long time to get them threaded back in. I had my fingers numb and bloody twice. I just had to get lined up but I had to see them to they were straight. I have a drive on lift so it makes it a bit easier but it still took time every time. I did not more or remove anything either. 

I had a shop rebuild the hoses, retaining new couplings that allow the hose to swivel,  that Studebaker originally built into the hose. $68 for both! Used the original end connectors because they are bent such that they will attach correctly. Still had trouble! I unscrewed the hose with the coupling so that I only had the end piece to attach. It went right on! Without the drag of the hose pulling it, it was easy as anything to attach. The coupling joined right up, good to go. Now I hope I have them in the proper holes....

1 hour ago, Fourward said:

I had a shop rebuild the hoses, retaining new couplings that allow the hose to swivel,  that Studebaker originally built into the hose. $68 for both! Used the original end connectors because they are bent such that they will attach correctly. Still had trouble! I unscrewed the hose with the coupling so that I only had the end piece to attach. It went right on! Without the drag of the hose pulling it, it was easy as anything to attach. The coupling joined right up, good to go. Now I hope I have them in the proper holes....

A job you REALLY only want to do ONCE!!!!