Instrument Panel Overlay Repaint, HOW-TO?

cmholm

While I have my dash disassembled for a pad replacement, I'm looking at the instrument panel overlay finish with a more critical eye. A previous owner didn't do a bad job with some fawn paint touchups along the edges, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with a stripping/repainting. If so, what did you do?

2 hours ago, cmholm said:

While I have my dash disassembled for a pad replacement, I'm looking at the instrument panel overlay finish with a more critical eye. A previous owner didn't do a bad job with some fawn paint touchups along the edges, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with a stripping/repainting. If so, what did you do?

Not too hard a job...(once the instruments have been removed!!)..........Remove old finish with any good liquid paint remover, then flush panel thoroughly with water....Dry, and lightly scuff the aluminum panel with fine steel wool....Then mask off the outer rolled bead with any good 'fine line' flexible tape....Then dip a clean rag into a combo of 75% white vinegar & 25% water.. and wipe the panel down...This helps paint adhesion on the aluminum surface.

At this point, some folks will go directly to final paint, however I like to apply one coat of 'SEM' brand self etching primer...Let that dry, then scuff with red scuff pad or 400 grit sandpaper...Then apply finish paint coat.

Best paint to use (I believe) is the custom mixed Avanti instrument overlay paint that Studebaker International sells......It's the correct color, with just the right amount of 'flattener' added for original looking gloss.....Good luck!.....Ed:)