Avanti Stall!

mfg

Unlike the 'high stall' torque converters used behind the Studebaker Avanti 'R' engines, early Avanti ll's (with the Borg Warner Powershift trans) used a normal (or low stall) torque converter.....True?

I believe that's false. Early Avanti II's reportedly used leftover Powershifts from Studebaker inventory. At some point fairly soon in production they used torque converters that Checker Motors installed...or so Jon Myer told me several years back. The PowerShift my '70 came with supposedly had one.

I agree..early ll's did use the high stall converter....It's said that as supplies dwindled, 'Checker' coverters were used, which indeed were low stall types. It was important to get the original torque converter back from the trans shop for these early Avanti ll's, as often, if sent out for rebuild, a 'Checker type' converter was substituted. Answer....FALSE!

Jon Myer told me that while the torque converter interchanges with the Checker it's still valved different internally. While such things are voodoo to me, I've learned to respect his experience. He's been an enormous help and source of information over time.

When my car was rebuilt and a 700R4 installed, I sold the PowerShift to Jon so he could get it back in the "food chain" of Avanti parts so it can help some other Avanti miscreant to keep his car on the road.