Avanti Gauges!

mfg

The extremely rare Paxton gauge cluster, which was installed in at least one of the 'EX' Studebaker Avantis, and also a few of the Bonneville cars, consisted of three gauges....what were those three gauges functions?

The one I restored had the two added gauges, Oil temperature, and fuel pressure. I believe the third one was also another [different] boost gauge.

The oddity that struck me was the fuel pressure gauge was direct reading with fuel plumbed right to the gauge.

Very unsafe and I fixed it by utilizing an isolator from Moroso, which I hid inside the pressure box

Edited by brad

Correct answer!...This jives with the little bit of info I had on this......Very interesting how you reworked the fuel pressure gauge for safety!

(Can you tell us if the gauges were installed in an 'EX' Avanti?....Or maybe one of the R3 cars?...Thanks)

I'm working with the owner of the first of the nine. I can't remember if it has the gauges or not. I will have to look closer next time I'm over there.

At the time I saw it it still had the AC from where it was added at one point. It's getting put back to original at this time.

Since it's all trivia anyway, but over the years, Paxton installed many non-stock parts in many Avanti,and other Studes. JMHO, but saying those are "Avanti guages" is like saying the Cadillac 429" installed by Joe Granatelli was an "Avanti optional engine".

jack vines

The post title says it.

Oh,...OK,...I start most of my Avanti Trivia question titles with Avanti this or Avanti that,........Attention getter??.....Anyway, the question itself is clear enough....don't you think?

Edited by mfg