Power Steering Hoses

Cowboy91

With my engineering hat on I've got a question on power steering hoses (all) at the control valve have the piping with too many bends in them in my mind. After taking the bunch off to replace them I'm not sure that straigth in piping wouldn't work just as well. Open to comments and understanding.

I think since the control valve has to move forward, the excess hose might cause a problem if it's not routed the way it is now. I'd love to see your design, though! It is a mess down there....

warren55. I'll take a look at how much movement comes into play. At this point I'm not sure if you keep the hose the same length but shorten the piping (English term for metal tubing) it should have any affect on movement. The return line to the pump was straight into the control valve, not the factory one with bends. DIdn't seem to affect opearting ability. A job for next week. Will post the outcome, with pics of course.

Good luck on your project Cowboy91. I do remember years ago I installed a P/S hose on my first '63 Avanti which was somehow a bit too short....It worked fine until I took a hard left turn in traffic on a bumpy road....POP!!....What a MESS! ...Power steering fluid EVERYWHERE...and of course no P/S for the rest of the trip....A REAL BUMMER!!

The attempt was good the results were bad. I've got to say the engineers that work the hoses and pipes out had their act together. I built a return line hose to try my idea out. It wasn't an issue to have a mostly straight pipe going into the control valve. The issue is when you shorten the hose length (about 6") the hose is okay for a right turn and straight ahead postion but left turn is no go. The overall hose and pipe bends are critical to the lateral movement of the control value. So I'll get a full set together and install them. Not going to give up, I just want to get in on the road. I have to agree with Bill. I'm not rebuilding for the judging events. I have two other that are 90+ point car and are a real pain to keep them that way. I'm doing a budget rebuild job so cost factors come in to play. The frame width looks close to the of a Ford Mustang so a front clip might work. However I think a full frame is the way to go. A full frame would I believe take care of many issues and give you a wide choice of front and rear supsensions, axles and gearing.