Avanti Blackout!

mfg

1964 Studebaker Avantis, (Avantis built with 'square lights')...had the body air scoop area behind the stainless steel grille 'blacked out' regardless of exterior body color.....True?

Some time ago on the SDC Forum there was a lot of "controversy" regarding whether the air scoop area should be blacked out and whether it came from the factory that way. Nothing was really settled...some said one and some said the other. Even most photos from that era aren't clear as the scoop area wasn't focused on and usually shaded. Many cars that have the scoop area blacked out have been repainted and it can't be said for sure what was original.

I offered the opinion that the difference may depend on whether it was a MFG body or a Studebaker produced body...but that was just a suggestion...no answer was known.

I'm sure many would like to know the real answer definitively! It could make for some fun arguments in judging! Maybe we shouldn't have the truth be known just for that reason? :unsure:

The "I believe" in my answer was because I was too lazy to go look at my car #5085 which I have owned for ~38 years. I am very certain this car has its original paint, right down to the "crayon" number under the front of the hood. I just went out and checked and the inner air scoop is body color (Avanti red).

To extent the conversation to 1963, a knowledgeable collector I know believes that early 63 Avantis are blacked-out in the air scoop. Interesting is that the Studebaker Museum has recently listed some neat Bonneville pictures for sale. In one of these (link below) it is obvious that 1007 (the #9 Bonneville car) has that area painted body color (at least for Bonneville).

. http://studebakerarchives.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=4&_bqH=eJzzMPPPLjc1zU0ONA1PKXAL8yj3Dw0sj0zOjne0srAyNDAAYSDpGe8S7GzrlJ.Xl1qWmZOTqgYWiHf0c7EtAbJDg12D4j1dbENBil1NKtz0zPIsggJ81eIdnUNsi1MTi5IzAOxZIK4-&GI_ID=

The "I believe" in my answer was because I was too lazy to go look at my car #5085 which I have owned for ~38 years. I am very certain this car has its original paint, right down to the "crayon" number under the front of the hood. I just went out and checked and the inner air scoop is body color (Avanti red).

To extent the conversation to 1963, a knowledgeable collector I know believes that early 63 Avantis are blacked-out in the air scoop. Interesting is that the Studebaker Museum has recently listed some neat Bonneville pictures for sale. In one of these (link below) it is obvious that 1007 (the #9 Bonneville car) has that area painted body color (at least for Bonneville).

. http://studebakerarchives.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=4&_bqH=eJzzMPPPLjc1zU0ONA1PKXAL8yj3Dw0sj0zOjne0srAyNDAAYSDpGe8S7GzrlJ.Xl1qWmZOTqgYWiHf0c7EtAbJDg12D4j1dbENBil1NKtz0zPIsggJ81eIdnUNsi1MTi5IzAOxZIK4-&GI_ID=

Great photo of Paula and #9!...Speaking of 'air scoop photos', if anyone has the Spring/Summer 2009 issue of 'AVANTI MAGAZINE handy, check out page 22 which shows a clear photo of a white '64 'square light' Studebaker Avanti with the scoop area behind the stainless steel grill painted the white exterior body color.----Once again a 'square light' car!