Curling door panels

fastforward

I'm new to Avanti's but actively seeking to add one to our garage. I've looked at several and it seems the pleated door panels have a tendency to curl out from the bottom. Is this a common problem? Is it possible to reattach, glue them in some way to lay flat? Or is replacement the only solution?

Pretty common with most cars that used a layered wood backing. The best solution is to remove the door panels and replace the backing with 1/8" ABS sheet. I bought mine off Ebay. Use the old door panel (card) as a template to fab the ABS and put it on the door for a final fit before you transfer the upholstery.

Old vs new cards and upholstery dyed and refurbished 

IMG_20180509_125018.jpg

IMG_20180509_125214.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

7 hours ago, Stormy said:

Avanti 83, can you show the fasteners that you used to attach the lower horizontal chrome strip ?  I have one end that is slightly loose, but don't want to use a screw to reattach it.  

This is by memory but IIRC the chrome strip is held in by clips that slide into the chrome strip and are pushed through and then bent behind the panel to hold it. It's possible they are available but you could also just slide a couple toward the missing end and leave one out near the middle. I think the door panel would need to be at least loosened to get to them.

Avanti 83, thanks.  I had not considered just sliding a couple of clips to the end of the chrome strip.  I see in the pictures above that there are 10-12 clips for each strip.  Someday, in the spring when my unheated barn is warm, I'll try to remove the door panel and check it out.  I have electric windows which work fine, but are really sluggish in cold weather.  I have thought of lubricating the mechanism to make the window work easier, so that would be a perfect time. I really  enjoy the help and information on this Forum.