Operation Avanti Airlift update...June 25...

Gunslinger

Everything is a go for Saturday at 2:00PM at the Hagerstown Regional Airport. The weather forecast as of this morning for Saturday is mid- to upper-80s and partly cloudy. While not in the forecast (as of this morning), passing thunderstorms are not uncommon this time of year around here.

The Museum people will have the C-82 in place with other aircraft out of the way or hangered. They'll position the aircraft any way we like for best photography. As I've mentioned before, it would be a nice gesture for anyone so inclined, to give the museum a donation for their time and effort. Any donations can be earmarked for the refurbishing of the original C-82 used in the 1962 Avanti Airlift or for their general fund...individual choice.

The passenger terminal is right off of I-81 a few miles north of I-70 on Showalter Road. We'll all meet there at 2:00 and caravan to the C-82 in a different area of the airport.

As of now, it looks like about a dozen Avantis should be present for the event. Hopefully there will be no last minute dropouts and maybe a couple more "maybe" cars might be there. There should be about twenty people for the dinner following the event.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great Avanti time!

We got in to the Hampton last night, 650+ miles in about 11 hours driving. Looking forward to today.

11 Avantis were on hand for the 1962 Avanti Airlift Tribute at the Hagerstown Air Museum in Hagerstown MD. It was a great photo op with a '63 backed onto the ramp at the rear of the Fairchild C-82 "Flying Boxcar" along with other 10 Avantis strategically placed by Lew for some great pics. A very nice dinner and great conversation followed for the nearly 30 participants at Nick's Airport Inn afterward near by the airport. Kuddos to "Gunslinger" for making the arrangements. For me it was a great stop over to break up the 940 mile drive to Dover from home. Today, its on to Dover!