Trivia!....Avanti Horn 'Buttons'

mfg

Yes...photos of prototypes showed a steering wheel center with the same large "S" as the hood and sail panels had. AFAIK, these were not used on production cars.

Your answer isn't a correct response to the stated question....although I understand your point about the prototype "S'" steering wheel medallion. (key word 'produced' as 'in quantity')

Well, in this case, I believe the answer is TRUE...Here's what I mean....The medallion we all know was used on the bulk, possibly all, of Studebaker Avantis that were built...but Studebaker also produced, in quantity, a revised steering wheel medallion with much larger 'STUDEBAKER CORPORATION' lettering, and offered these medallions as replacements. I have one of these on my own '63.

The parts book shows only one for all cars, so any changes must have carried the same part number and mixed in production...maybe from a second vendor? Somehow that reminds me of GM with their ignition lock debacle causing them so much legal grief right now...though a different steering wheel medallion isn't safety related.

The parts book shows only one for all cars, so any changes must have carried the same part number and mixed in production...maybe from a second vendor? Somehow that reminds me of GM with their ignition lock debacle causing them so much legal grief right now...though a different steering wheel medallion isn't safety related.

Could be. All I know is that these 'larger print' medallions were offered for sale for several years from places like SI. They are most probably NLA now.

Maybe an option for those vision impaired? :wacko:

Not a bad thought!...But seriously, if you look at that script on a normal production medallion...it really is kind of small...someone at Studebaker possibly noticed that fact!

Not a bad thought!...But seriously, if you look at that script on a normal production medallion...it really is kind of small...someone at Studebaker possibly noticed that fact!

As originally envisioned, the design of the "horn button" was completed on 3/29/62. The lettering was then revised on 4/18/62, but the small lettering remained. At least that's what's indicated on the original factory blueprint I have framed and hanging on my office wall.

No clue about when the larger lettering that was moved farther out from the center brushed disk came about.

Dennis

R2470