Key Avanti Part

mfg

Trivia....What car company supplied THE key part to make the GM engine install on the first Avanti ll's 'happen'?

Edited by mfg

I'm going use the SWAG method...Scientific Wild A$$ Guess on this. Since the adapters for the GM engine to Studebaker frame already existed and in use by Studebaker in Canada for '65 production, I'll say it was MFG for supplying the front fender fill-in pieces for the wheel arch so it would look right.

The only other answer I can think of would be GM for supplying engines.

The wording of "THE Key part" made me think of ignition keys, but Chrysler style keys were used when the ignition keys were moved to the steering columns, so I'm now wondering about an adaptor for the Chevy engine mating up to the Borg Warner Powershift transmissions?

It really only required a bell housing in the Chevy pattern for the BW PowerShift and a differently valved torque converter for the tranny. I'm thinking the engineering was essentially done already by Studebaker and BW since BW automatics were going to be installed in Canadian production cars with GM engines, though they weren't PowerShifts. The bell housing would have been the same most likely.

plwindish & Gunslinger.....I think that you are both correct....but the 'auto company' that really came to the rescue of both Studebaker AND Avanti Motors would be Checker. If Checker hadn't created a demand for new bellhousings to mate the small block Chevy to the 3 speed Borg Warner cast iron transmission (which Checker was also using at the time) Avanti Motors would have not had the resources to create that needed (key) part. Avanti (and Studebaker) would probably have had to try to use the 2 speed Chevy Power-Glide transmission in their automobiles.

Having a power glide in an Avanti would have been a real letdown from the BW powershift trans.