Power Window Motor Fix!

mfg

The driver's side power window in my '83 Avanti had been acting 'sluggish' lately.....The other day it came to a complete halt! As these power window motors sell for around $200, I decided to try repairing it. I taped the window glass to the vent window frame to keep it up and out of the way, then I removed the window regulator/motor assembly from the door. Upon disassembly of the motor, I found that a small corner piece had broken off one of the powerful 'field'? magnets, which are bonded to the inside of the motor housing. This piece had gotten jammed between the inside of the motor housing and the rotating armature. I removed the debris, cleaned everything up, lubed the end bushings, polished up the commutator, and put it all back together. (There was hardly any wear on the two commutator brushes!)

After cleaning and lubing the window regulator, I re-attached the motor, and installed the assembly back into the door. I LUCKED OUT !.....The window works smoother and quicker than ever now!

A big pat on the back. You're quite fortunate for such a simple fix. Most don't go that easily...or maybe people assume the worst and start replacing parts without a full diagnosis.

Nice job - definitely not something intuitive, very cool that you found it.

Here's something I wrote up that may help others who come across this thread - chewed up internal gears.

http://avanti4245.wordpress.com/2013/11/28/window-motorsregulators/

James, Posts like yours are what makes forums like this one an interesting and useful tool.......I never would have thought to check Rock Auto for those window motor gears. Now I know where to look, and also have a part number! Thanks!

On mine, someone had replaced one of the bolts in the center pivot on the door with a longer bolt. It took forever to figure it out, but the main lift arm was rubbing on it about a 1/2 inch from the top and it would grind to a stop every time unless you helped it up.

Something else to look for!

Re: post #4.... it's not clear to me what year Avanti's the replacement part pertains to, does anyone know?

It appears the part came from inside the PW motor, so did that include the original Ford T-Bird motor?