Antenna base removal?

Palantirion

I first tightly wind a number of layers of plastic electrical around the antenna base nut. This protects the chrome. Next, I take an adjustable wrench, and close it as tightly as I can on the nut flats. Then, I turn the wrench counter-clockwise to remove the nut. Be careful not to break through the layers of electrical tape as you loosen the nut. This isn't any big deal! Good luck on your project. John in Wisconsin

LOL, sometimes it really is the most obvious approach. Thank you very much. I had assumed that technique would have had some negative effect on wiring or something. Anyway, thanks again..I am off to try it.

p.s. How many turns should it take? Are the threads integral to the body, or is there a nut in the trunk?

• 9 years later...

Need help in removing rear antenna on a 1963 avanti.  I am able to turn the outside antenna nut, and it came up about an 1/8", it just keeps turning and nothing happens. Is their a nut on the underside? I am unable to see up inside the hole for a possible nut.  Anybody run into this?  

• 2 weeks later...

Just need to know if there is a hidden nut up inside the trunk area where the antenna comes down. The top nut just keeps spinning and spinning, and only have about an 1/8" opening between the outer car body and the antenna base. Anybody know if there is a nut down under?